Thursday, June 04, 2009

Night on the Town, Frugal Style

Thanks to Jelene!

Yesterday my husband and I had an inexpensive night on the town, thanks to Found Magazine and Sonic.

Do you know about Found Magazine? I've been following this guy since I was in college. Dave collects items that have been found- notes, pictures, grocery lists, etc and posts these things on his website. He's published books of these items as well- check your library! I love these glimpses into other people's lives, so when I saw that he was coming to town, we had to go see him! For a modest donation, we were treated to a two hour show featuring some of his favorite finds and songs about some of the finds. Hilarious and heartbreaking, and well worth the time. He's going to be in other areas if you're interested. (Warning: I would not call this show child friendly. He uses inappropriate language and many of the topics he discusses are decidedly adult.)

After the show, we swung over to Sonic to have a free root beer float. We got there around 10:30 PM and it was still mobbed. We waited half an hour on our picnic blanket (as all the car stalls were taken) and enjoyed one of our favorite frugal activities- people watching.

It's a goal of ours this summer to get out more without hurting our wallet. I hope that our commitment means that we notice these types of activities more often. I wonder how much we've missed because we were not paying attention?

What kind of inexpensive/free activities do you look for in your community?

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

We have a big Shakespeare in the Park here. I'm pretty excited to see it, we went to see free SitP in Montana. Lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

I was debating what regional minor league park to take my 4 1/2 year old girls to (I can not afford Fenway Park by a mile...I could barely afford to park there) when I realized the local kids play in leagues in the ballpark 4 blocks from us. My girls just enjoyed sitting in the stands, getting a treat from the concession stand for $2 and it was filled with families so there's no inappropriate language to contend with. They got introduced to baseball, I spent a couple of hours in the sun on a Saturday with them and they've been talking about it for a week. A fun and inexpensive way to pass the time!

Can not wait to hear other suggestions...
Andrea