Do you ever get tired of being good?
I know I sure do. That's not to say I'm a paragon of virtue all, or even most, of the time. I'm as selfish and cranky as the rest of us.
But I was not a terribly rebellious teenager, and my husband and I do our best to live honest lives. It does get tiresome, especially when it seems like those around us do whatever they want with little or no consequence for their action. Why be honest on our taxes? Why be financially responsible? Why sacrifice our time for others, why give to charity? Why not throw in the towel and live a hedonistic adventure? Why be good so much of the time?
This is why I gasped a little when I read the driving verse for the thirty day giving challenge:
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galations 6:9
God knew that we'd get weary in doing good. He knew. It's normal that we're tired of it at times. It's normal to want to drive off into the world of selfish pleasures, nary a thought to goodness here! He knew, and he left this for us to remind us that our goodness is not in vain. He did not say "Go be good so everyone can run over you and enjoy things you'll never see, while you sit quietly and give to others with no reward." That's not what He said. Do not give up, and we will see the fruit of our goodness.
That is so, so encouraging to me.
I've kept track of my blessings, but it's never occurred to me to keep track of what I give. That seemed a bit...wrong...to me. Why should I think of what I've given? Why should I be reminded that I've done things? But why not? There's a difference between reminding myself and keeping a checklist. I'm not saying, "Okay, I've done this, and I will not do one more thing until I see a reward! I'm waiting..." I'm just reminding myself that there is fruit to my labor. Writing things down helps us see clearly. I tell my students that all the time, yet I've never practiced that myself in terms of what I've given.
Perhaps keeping track of the blessings we get for a short time will remind us that giving is not just an exercise in futility. We get what we give- I believe that absolutely. I've seen in my life before.
We all need a reminder here and there.
How's your 30 Day Challenge going?
2 comments:
WOW! That is such a good post. So needed today. Thank you for sharing with us. Hugs, Bobbi Jo
Thank you. I needed that. Right now it's church that's wearing me out, as my husband is an elder, and we're running the youth group. It's exhausting, to be honest. I'm going to put that verse up in my kitchen as a reminder to keep going.
Post a Comment