Monday, January 09, 2006

Book review: The More With Less Cookbook

One of my favorite frugal cookbooks is Doris Janen Longacre's More With Less Cookbook. The first part of the book discusses how much waste goes on in the world, which is shameful because so much of the world is starving. Her discussion of how much the average North American uses is eye-opening. It gives me a whole new reason to try to be frugal- wasting less. Just because we have the things to use, the money to spend, etc, does not mean that we should or that it is the best way to do it. She also discusses the rise in obesity due to overeating- and this was published in 1976! She shows how easy it is to overeat things like protein and sugar. (If you have Tang, pre-sweetened cereal, coffee with sugar, a cookie, Jell-o, and canned fruit in one day, that adds up!) It's not that I've never thought of these things before. She just presents it in an interesting way.

She then provides some (mostly) easy, simple recipes built around basic ingredients. I like this book because it generally relies on inexpensive ingredients that I usually have on hand. The meals are usually quick and easy. I also use her yogurt recipe. At the end of each chapter, she suggests how to use the leftovers you may have of her recipes in that chapter. Many of her entire meals are based around leftovers. (Ie: Take one cup of leftover rice, or cook x amount of new rice...)

Tonight from the MWL Cookbook, we're having Golden Potato Bake.

Golden Potato Bake
Serves 8
350 degrees
25 minutes

Cook together in water until tender:

2 lbs potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled
2 c. sliced carrots

When done, preheat oven to 350. Drain vegetables, reserving liquid. Mash with mixer on low speed. Add enough vegetable liquid for mashed potato consistency.

Add 1/3 c. dry milk powder

Bead until mixture is fluffy

Stir in:

1 T margarine
salt and pepper to taste

Turn into a 2 qt. greased casserole. Dot with additional margarine if desired. Bake 25 minutes.

Optional:
To serve as a main dish, stir in 1 cup shredded cheese before baking.


Yummy!

Since I just moved to this town, I have not gotten down a grocery store routine yet, so I have no meat, few fresh vegetables, etc. But I did just buy all that cheese at that sale recently (saved 11 dollars!) and I have potatoes and carrots. Ta-Da! A dish without a trip to the store. If you even have a halfway pantry, this book is for you.

1 comment:

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

For those playing at home, I'm in the Wichita area. And these things sound great!