We're having a last minute Superbowl party!
Okay, so the "party" consists of the one friend who moved her shortly before we did. But it does not take a crowd to make a party!
This presents some challenges. I want to have yummy traditional superbowl snacks, like pizza and wings and chips and soda! But I also need to shop out of my pantry as much as possible. We also have an added challenge: Our friend is severely allergic to wheat. It developed suddenly. He found out last year, and just about died before they figured it out. Go figure. Anyway, we want to have snacks that are fabulous treats, but wheat free so he can be included in everything. And inexpensive as well.
Wheat pops up in the most surprising places. Last time we had him over, we made cheese enchiladas (0n soft corn tortillas, no wheat in them) with beans and seasoned beef. Luckily, I happened to glance at the ingredients on the stuff before I dumped it in. On the beans, the second ingredient was wheat. On the seasoning packet (given to me by my parents- I usually make my own) the first ingredient was wheat. Opps. So I had to quickly revise, and all was well.
Here are my ideas so far:
Veggie tray with homemade dip of some sort. (Still trying to figure it out- many of those packet mixes have wheat products in them.)
Hot wings! Can't have a party without hot wings!
And that's really about where I am right now. I want to include one or two more things. I would have a pizza, but...crust! I would have chips, but most chips have wheat of some sort in them. I would serve quesedillas...but, yeah. So you see where I am. I would ask his advice, but he is kind of at a loss himself at this point, as his allergy is still new to him. He eats a lot of salad, meat (with no sauce unless he makes it himself- read your bottles. You'll be amazed what has wheat in it!) , and veggies. I want to make it special since it is a party, but I also want to be able to include him.
Any wheat free party food suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
5 comments:
I have a distant cousin that has this - it took her FOREVER to get a diagnosis! She was so tired of being sick.
I googled gluten-free recipes and got this - http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/celiac/recipelist.html
maybe it will help - there were a lot of choices! Have a good party - and don't feel bad if you spend a little bit on something special for your friend. You'll make it up somewhere else and learn a new entertaining idea or two in the process!
Thanks for the tip! I don't mind spending extra money for my guests...it's just when I spend it on me that I feel weird. I'm strange that way!
I know this is too late, but I just found your blog :)
For a labor day party this year I needed to bring something, and didn't want to go shopping, so I made homemade caramel corn out of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was a HUGE hit (and it was so simple and cheap, with ingredients I had on hand!)
As a matter of fact everyone loved it so much that they all requested it as their family Christmas gift, and I've been instructed to bring it to all future parties.
I just came across your blog and was reading some of your posts. Neat stuff, I will have to check it out more often!
My mother in law was diagnosed with Celiac about 4 1/2 years ago. So I've had to watch anything with wheat, rye, barley or oats. It does make it hard because there are so many things with those in them.
Did you end up finding any good recipes to make that night?
Actually, he called and said he was going to bring some things, so I did not need as much. I made some cheese dip, and he was able to eat the corn chips with it, and the veggies. He brought some amazing grilled vegetables,and all was well.
Post a Comment