Wednesday, March 15, 2006

It's Just Money Post- something to think about

I found this post at It's just Money very interesting. We know so much about our friends- their lives, what they like, where they have been. We know some of their most embarrassing moments. We have seen them at their best and worse. We may have seen them cry, know about their sex lives, and know some of the things they are not proud of. But we likely don't know much about their money.

When I hear about money from my friends, it's usually in the context of "I have so much debt that I don't know how I'll ever pay if off." I know the actual number for a few people. But I don't know what they earn, if they have savings, etc. And most of those people don't know these things about me.

A lot of our friends don't even know that we are trying to be frugal. Unless they ask, they don't know that I got that 50 dollar pair of jeans for 5 dollars at Goodwill. They don't know that the food I just served them cost me next to nothing, once I combined coupons with sales. They don't know that all our furniture is secondhand, unless they are the ones who we got it from. Part of the reason I don't tell them those things is that I don't want to be preachy or nosy. Also, it does not really come up. And the subject is boring for a lot of people. Nobody who we know in person knows that we are trying to save as much as possible. As far as I know, nobody I know in real life reads this blog, though I would be happy if they did. :-)

Go read the post. It's just interesting. And I don't know how I feel about it exactly. I see both sides.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the mention. I haven't seen your blog before, but I like what I'm seeing. Great work on the inexpensive lunches for your husband!

pilgrimama said...

Oh,I'm reading your blog! We homeschool and raise three littles on a shoestring budget quite happily! Keep posting!

pilgrimama said...

OOps,misread your statement on readership!

Anonymous said...

Great link. I've thought about that before. Why we feel money is so private. I think part of it could be that it's tied up with our worth as a person. Not that it should be. We can fake that we're worth something with things but most of the time those things were gotten with credit. When you owe more that you have, your really worth less than nothing. Not really, but you get the idea. I'm sure it has to do with primal behavior as well. "Look at me, I've got the prettiest feathers, I'll make an excellent mate".

Just thoughts...