Thursday, March 02, 2006

Thanks, Freecycle!



Both my husband and I love to read. We always have books and videos and DVD's out from the library, usually several apiece. When we were both grad students, it was not uncommon for us to have 100 books checked out from 3 different libraries, with numerous interlibrary loan books among them, with varying due dates. Yet we rarely had a late fee. The reasoning was two part:

1. I check online every Monday and renew books as needed, then take back whatever cannot be renewed.

2. We had the library book bookshelf!

Yes, we had a whole (small) bookshelf devoted entirely to library books. We did not put our library books anywhere else in the house, unless we were currently reading them. It lived in our hallway, and was usually full and then some.

When we moved here, only one thing got broken. That one thing was our library books bookshelf. I think my husband bought it at Wal-Mart when he was about 20. It held up pretty well for as much abuse as it took. Since we no longer need to check out literally hundreds of books now, we figured that we could get by with a library book tote bag. Out of sight, out of mind! And since we've been here, I have gotten out of the Monday renew books routine. As a result, we've had fines TWICE! Inconceivable! Clearly, we needed our bookshelf back.

After thinking about buying another one, and halfheartedly looking around at Goodwill and the like, I posted a Wanted listing on Freecycle. I'd given away a few things through them, and picked up a few things I had seen posted, but I had never come out and asked for an item. I wondered if anyone would respond.

Within the hour, I brought home the lovely bookshelf pictured above. Thanks, Freecycle people! You're the best!

1 comment:

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

ditto on the bestness of freecycle!