Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Ham Diaries- Using up the Leftovers in Creative Ways

...Because after awhile, you get tired of sandwiches!

The first thing I am making with my leftover ham is something my mother called Popeye Pie. It's really a spinach quiche, but Popeye Pie sounds so much more exciting! This dish is excellent hot or cold. It's extra delicious served with fresh sliced tomatoes and garlic bread.

Popeye Pie

You'll Need
1 pie crust (I make one but I'm sure a store one would be good too.)
3 Tablespoons of Butter or margarine
1 8 oz can of mushroom bits, or a few chopped fresh mushrooms
chopped green pepper and onions to taste (I use 1 onion and 1/2 green pepper)
1/2 to 1 cup chopped ham
1 pkg. frozen spinach (thawed)
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

What you Do
Saute the onions, ham, mushrooms, and green peppers in the butter. In a seperate bowl, mix the grated mozzarella cheese, eggs, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper. Add spinach and the sauted mushroom/onion/ham mixture. Mix well. Pour into the pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees until a knife comes out clean- this will take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serves 6.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make Ham Spagetti, chop it up a la sloppy joes and serve it over rice, baked potatoes extrodinaire, navy beans with pork, mmmmm I'm getting hungry so I'll stop.(:

jessica m. said...

i just found your blog and i think we have a lot in common! i'm also trying to pay off the dreaded student loans, and live as frugally as possible. my parents are divorced, so i had two easter dinners this year, and LOTS of han leftovers! haha. i can relate! this sounds yummy - i love spinach!