When you're building your pantry, be sure to add some goodies when they go on rock bottom sale! I bought some buy one get one free steak awhile ago, and it came in handy last weekend when a friend of ours suggested a BBQ. He was going to have to run out and buy meat at *gasp* full price! We let him know that we'd be happy to bring steak in exchange for the use of his grill and his company. We were also able to bring a marinade that I picked up for .25 cents awhile back by combining coupons and sales. Our host provided us with steamed broccoli and potato salad, and we had a great dinner for just under eight dollars for all three of us together. There was even enough steak leftover for steak sandwiches for the next day.
This experience really got me thinking about my pantry. When we lived in leaner times, how wonderful it would have been to have such treats waiting for us in the freezer. If something happens to my husband's job, how nice it will be to know that, because of our previous planning, we can still have treats and not have to live on beans. The steak tasted just as good as if we had paid full price for it!
2 comments:
This is so true! I've learned to 'stock up' when something I like goes on sale, because it could be months and months before you see it again. For instance, I had about 8 pork tenderloins in the freezer I had purchased BOGO. After about 6 months, I'm down to my last 2, I think, but I hope to see a sale again soon. It's so much nicer to pull something from the freezer than to have to rush out and buy it. (And I substitute all the time--pork can sub for chicken in almost any recipe.) We've even had ribeye steaks for special occasions because I bought them half price and froze them. (PS--I hope your husband never loses his job!)
Nah, the steak would have tasted even better than a full price one! LOL!
Wilm
Post a Comment