Wow. Our electric bill for our two bedroom apartment for the last month was a little over 200 dollars.
Now, it has been pretty hot. Well over 100 degrees hot. And we don't have gas in our place- everything is electric. But that seems like quite a steep jump (we usually pay 60-80) even with the AC running.
My husband does not think our air conditioner works correctly. We also don't have the greatest windows, and I'm sure the insulation is not so great. Kirk has talked to the office several times. They did fix a leak that was found, and that helped a little bit, but it does not seem to cool very efficiently even at the best of times. He called the electric company to see if he could find out what others in our complex are paying for comparison purposes, but they can't release that information. They did seem shocked that our bill was so high for the size of our place, and told us to talk to the managers about our AC. The AC unit looks very old. I would just not run it at all except when we were home and hang out at the library all day, but we do have pets who can't take that much heat. We keep it at about 80.
I think one of the most frustrating things about living in an apartment or any rental property is the lack of control over things that can help out with efficentcy. A lot of other sites have great tips on maximizing energy efficientcy. Great! Except that since we rent, we can't just add extra insulation and update our windows. Does anybody out there have any tips for rental property dwellers on how to stay cool in 100+ degree weather with a shoddy (or with no) AC?
It's making me very glad we bought the freezer earlier this year. We don't have to buy many groceries, which will help with the bill.
18 comments:
Hello,
you can put icicles or a block of ice in the direction of the fan's blast.
Actually, I am doing it.
A French reader of your blog (who doesn't speak English very well !)
Thanks for the tip Fabrice, and welcome! It's nice to hear from my international readers.
I posted a list of cheap ways to chill out last week. I used many of them over the weekend, too! I tried the "ice in front of a fan" thing yesterday, but it didn't really work for me. I think I needed a larger block of ice and/or a smaller room! :)
It works for me but, you're right, I've got a little room and I have to change the ice too often and my freezer doesn't succeed in making ice so rapidly.
;0)
The only thing I do, that a renter could probably do, that isn't on JD's list is to put posterboard up in the south-facing windows. Actually I use old posters and turn the white side out.
Is it worth springing for your own, decently functioning AC unit? A few years ago I bought a new one for ~$300 (also due to an overheated apartment + pets). If you are paying $200/month anyway, the reduction in the electricity bills might be significant. Then you could bring it with you to your house and enjoy it there, or resell it if the house has central air?
Some people still use swamp coolers, which I think are supposed to be more efficient, but I have no personal experience with these.
I've just posted some tips we've used to keep cool. I'd fill a couple of bottles with water and keep them in the freezer. Then you could cycle them out in front of a fan.http://heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com/2006/07/keeping-cool.html
I know it's miserable, but your bill was larger than ours for a 3600 sq foot house, and it's been in the 100s here, too. I think something is very wrong with your air conditioner. It might be worth it to be very miserable for a month (can you take the pets to the park?) and use the money for a new unit of your own.
Or ask around if anybody has one to could borrow or buy?
Oh, and I meant to add that swamp coolers are great if you live in a dry climate and nobody is allergic to molds and mildews.
You can still use them if family members have those allergies, you just have to clean them more frequently.
but if you live in a humid climate, swamp coolers aren't much use.
I agree with q above. Go out and buy a new a/c they are so much more efficient than the older models. You will get your money back before summers end.
I am cooling a 2600sq ft home my electric was $165 last month. Although we did have some cool days that I shut the system down and when the weather man says its going to heat up again I turn it on in the morning while the house is already cool. Something is wrong with your a/c. Call the complex office and request a service call. Do not tell them you think something is wrong. You say "something is wrong - my air is not working it is ...degrees in here."
I really believe they have to take care of this. This is why they are the landlord. If you live in a city you may have a service that keeps landlords in check...so call.
Buying a new one is not an option, as we are not allowed to have window units per the lease.
I'll have my husband go complain again. They don't seem too concerned about the fact it's costing us a fortune to run, since it does technically work. It just does not work very well.
Great ideas, everybody.
You can try sealing the cracks in your windows with that grey putty. It can be reused from year to year.
I have read about using foil, reflective side out, in the windows to prevent sunlight from entering. Apparently, once the heat gets inside the window glass, it's yours. I haven't tried it myself. Instead of buying a box of foil, check the camping area of Target, Walmart, etc for a foil camping blanket. The cost is about the same, and you don't have to fuss with assembly. If you sew, you could whip up some roman type shades.
Other than that, just keep being a squeaky wheel to the apartment management company. Check with your local renter's union to see what your rights are. It may be time to escalate.
I have an all-electric home too & high bills in general. Tip: If you can turn off your breakers to all of your electricity and check your meter you will be sure to know if the problem stems from your apartment. Wait 5-10 minutes before you read the meter so it will completely stop. When you check it there should be no movement whatsoever (and then the problem is within). If there is movement, perhaps someone is "dipping" into your electric. At one point in my life I lived in CA in a terrible complex/really high bills and come to find out someone was stealing our electric. I hope it's not the case for you. Best wishes.
Hmm, well, in that case... I forgot to say yes, pressure your landlord more. I suspect your tenants' rights are likely being violated, so if you can point to that, that should get their butts in gear. For instance, in MA I had a landlord who controlled my thermostat and didn't keep it high enough, like winter temps were often 55-60. This turned out to be a clear violation of my rights. I bet there's a similar chunk of code that applies to you, with what are clearly out-of-line and prohibitive costs, and probably there are websites that lay out the code clearly. Good luck! And good thing you get to move soon!
Just a quick note to the all electric poster (I) above.
I don't know if you know this or not but if you contact your electric company, in my state ComEd, they give discounts on your electric bill if you are all electric.
-d
Is it possible to discuss replacing windows with your landlord in exchange for a rent credit?
if you can, set thermostat at 78 and close off all rooms that are not being used. that way you are cooling only the room occupied.also, try ceiling fans. we have had 100 degree weather also in mississippi and we run ceiling fans in every room along with the a/c. keeping air circulating 24/7. this cut our elect. bill tremendously. check and clean your furn./ac filters on a weekly basis as well. good luck.
sincerely, caryn
I'm trying not to run my air in this beastly weather. I live on a second floor so the breeze is better. I read today in the Chicago Tribune that the rate freeze ended the electricity for everyone will go up dramatically in September. I hope that they stop this because it's already expensive to live anywhere these days with rising inflation, a slowing economy, and high utility costs period.
I realize this is old but I just found it; my son and dil just went through this with their apartment; learned providing A/C is not required by code (like heat is); not considered necessary for safety (even though people die from overheat as from freezing)
Post a Comment