Monday, August 07, 2006

Fees to Apply

I'm thinking of applying as a substitute teacher, and there are tons of little fees!

You have to pay a 36 dollar application fee.

You have to pay 44 dollars to be fingerprinted.

You have to get a physical. While I think my insurance will cover that, I will still have to shell out a co-pay.

I have to have my transcripts sent from college, which is not free.

My big worry is that I'll shell out all this money, then never be called for jobs. Subs out there- how long did it take you to get steady work? For somebody who is just looking to teach a few days a week, is it worth all these fees?

7 comments:

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

When I got laid off (among other jobs I applied for) I subbed and learned I was not cut out for the teacher role! But I was lucky that my fees were paid for by the school district who even paid me to attend their training.

anyway, since I was open to any grade level, I was called right just a few weeks into the new school year.

Like any job, networking is key!
on my way out for the day I would stop by the front desk to check for subs for the next day. If they could count on me, the sub caller wouldn't have to go through the list so she saved time and the school already had someone ready for the next day.

Good luck if you choose to go through with it!

Anonymous said...

It'll be worth it, especially if you have an active district. In our little area, several subs have done quite well; some even worked into permanent positions, but then, that is what they were after. There's usually an abundance of teacher workshops, family illnesses, pregnancies etc to make it worth your while.

You might want to take more days in the beginning if they call you often, just to establish yourself as a go-to person, then taper off at the level you want once you're in there. Once you get a "rep" as someone they want on the campuses, you're in.

Anonymous said...

I've subbed on and off for ten years. Some districts (wealthy ones) will pay your fees under some circumstances. (In NYS, fingerprinting is $99!)

In terms of getting work, especially in classrooms you like, it is invaluable to make good connections with good teachers who will then request you when they know they are going to be out. If you can, go to faculty meetings, volunteer or involve yourself in other ways at schools you like so that you are visible and kids as well as teachers know you andregard you positively.

Alison Inaz said...

You'll make 80 bucks in fees back in one day in any decent district. I think the going rate is around 100 or more where I went to school

Anonymous said...

I don't have firsthand experience, but I have a few friends who have subbed for Wichita/USD 259, which may be the area you're considering. They tell me that the pay is very good for parttime work, and what has happened to a couple of them is that certain teachers will request them after they've had a good experience in subbing for them and they tend to end up with more chances to work than they really want. And about 10 years ago (so the situation could have changed by now) when I worked as a paraprofessional in a Wichita elementary school, there were occasions when no substitute was available so the principal had to take over for a sick teacher. Seems like they never had enough available subs. I think you'll make back any money you have to spend up front in very short order, if you choose to do this.

Anonymous said...

in mississippi, you can get alot of work as a sub...practically full time employee! and you don't have to start out paying those atocious fees just for applying. however, the big downside is that the pay is way low...far to low for that monthly paycheck.. i ended up working as a full time sub and earning below min. wage to do the same thing a certified teacher did.

Mrs. Darling said...

I noticed yuour intersts in your profile say Mennonite. Are you a Mennonite yourself? I was raised very Conservative Mennonite but I left the Menns when I was 27. Ther were nine of us kids at home and my siblings still are Mennonite.

I did the works for me Wednesday thing over at Rocks in my Dryer and did it about living on one income. As a frugal homemaker you might be interested in reading it. You have soem very good tips on our site.