Friday, August 04, 2006

Pantry Meals: Day 2

Sometimes I buy something I know I'll use, but am not exactly sure when. I could not resist the .25 cent 12 oz can of tomato paste. I don't actually use tomato paste all that often, and usually buy the little 6 oz cans when they go on sale. It's dated January of this year, so I've had it awhile.

Enter the Pantry Challenge! I also have ten pounds of chicken, so when I saw this recipe that called for 12 oz of tomato paste, I knew I had to make it. I'll be serving it with leftover spaghetti from yesterday's spaghetti and meatballs.

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore


You'll need:
  • 1 lg. onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 lbs. cut up chicken
  • 2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
  • 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 to 2 tsp. oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 c. water

PREPARATION:

Place onions in bottom of Crock Pot. Add chicken pieces. Stir together remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken. Cook on low 7 to 8 hours; high 3 to 4 hours. Serve chicken cacciatore with hot cooked spaghetti.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Update:

My husband and our guest really liked it. I thought it was okay. It seemed a bit salty to me, even though I did not add any salt. Maybe it was the tomato paste. Since our guest cannot eat wheat products, we served it over brown rice, with green beans on the side. I think I'll use rice next time as well- it was very good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you can get the No Salt Added tomato paste on a good deal. That's the thing about sales and coupons; the good deal may be on the brand name's regular stuff, and not the organic or reduced fat or no salt variety.

I did score some organic tomato sauce once - I guess I'm so used to processed foods it's sad, because it tasted odd to me!