Thursday, September 28, 2006

50 Dollar Work Clothes Challenge Update

The challenge has been successful so far!

Thanks to a serendipitous yard sale find, the thrift store, and E-bay, I am now the proud owner of three new work shirts and four skirts (two skirts are new with tags). I have spent 38.20, including shipping for the E-bay items. I have decided that I don't really need another jacket, as while I need to be professionally dressed, it does not have to be as formal as say, banking. I may still get one if I find one I like for an unbeatable price.

I was a little nervous about shopping for clothes on E-bay. I have a hard time fitting into clothes. I'm pretty tall for a woman, and while I'm not quite overweight, but I am not rail thin either. I almost always have to buy clothes a little too big, because the size smaller is too small. I also tend to have a hard time fitting into button up shirts because I'm a rather...abundant...woman in that area.

It finally occurred to me (duh!) to look up only brands I know I fit in! So I was able to order some shirts that I know I fit into, and some skirts I know I will fit into. I also sometimes work clothes tailored if they're a little to big in some areas. This may cost a little bit in the short term, but you can't beat how great it looks when it is done, and if you only spent five dollars on the item used, even tailored it's still often cheaper than new. Everything I got fits fine, so I won't need to do that this time around, but I've done it in the past with great success. My next frugal thing to learn is how to tailor my own clothes.

I still would like to get a new pair of shoes. I agree with those who have commented in earlier posts that quality shoes are a must if you're going to be on your feet all day. I often see quality shoes used, but not so often in my size (9 or 9.5, depending on the brand.) I'm going to hold out for awhile to see if I can find a pair for under 12 dollars. It is possible, if you know when to look. (Full disclosure: My sister is a manager at a major high end department store, so having her letting me know when the super clearance sales are helps a lot.) E-bay could also be a good source here. Wichita recently opened a Plato's Closet, and I've had a lot of luck in the past finding great condition, quality shoes at the one in Fort Collins,Colorado. In the meantime, I can do with what I have. A coat of good polish will keep them going a little longer!

No comments: