So as I mentioned earlier, I need new work worthy clothes. This also comes at a time when our budget is pretty small, because we are buying the house. (Sept 29th! I'm so excited!) I never have really built up a good work wardrobe. I did work in a bank, and have some clothes from there, but the items I have are either too formal for teaching (although I'm sure I'll wear them anyway sometimes!) or no longer fit.
Awhile ago, I saw a post on a blog somewhere talking about how much the blogger spent on clothes for work. It was something like 200 dollars A MONTH. It was just clothes, not manicures or hair or anything like that. She wanted to know how much other people spent, so I commented saying that I spent about 200 dollars on my entire bank wardrobe- and that lasted over a year. I got many comments after that, saying that it was impossible for a woman to spend so little on work clothes. I wish I remembered which blog it was, so I could link it. The conversation that followed was very interesting, and people spend a lot of money on work clothes it seems, and several people doubted that I could have spent so little and had an appropriate wardrobe.
I need dressy clothes for teaching. It does not have to be as formal as my bank suits, but it can't be jeans either. I follow the Tightwad Gazette formula for dress clothes. Basically, you have several pieces that can be mixed with each other. I find this easy and inexpensive. The items can be dressed up with cute accessories.
Here's the formula:
You need nine pieces. Two blazers, three tops, and four bottoms. Make sure that all these items will coordinate with each other! I generally choose basic solid colors for the blazers and pants, like black or khaki.
By doing this, you create 24 possible combinations of things to wear!
You match:
Blazer # 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
Top # 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3
Bottom # 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
I know that I can have nice clothes for well under 200 dollars a month. It may take some digging, but it is possible! Today I saw a pair of Steve Madden shoes for 1.95 at a thrift store. Too bad they were not in my size! I want to show others that it can be done. My challenge to myself is to find quality clothes an inexpensively as possible. I need 3 tops, 2 bottoms, and one jacket to complete the formula. I have a few other things. I also need another pair of sturdy but dressy shoes. I'm setting a limit of 50 dollars or all these items, but hope to spend much less. We'll see how I do! Check back for periodic updates.
5 comments:
Hi! That was probably The Budget Fashionista, because she gives that stat in her book.
I, however, spend about $1 per day. My actual budget is $43/month, but I never spend that much. I don't need work clothes, but I buy blazers and such anyway.
What size do you wear? I have a ton of stuff sitting around here and I hit the 99cent Monday at Value Village every week.
Another great source is ebay. Just search for mixed lots in your size and re-sell what you don't like or don't want to keep.
The great thing about shopping thrift stores is you can afford to pick up some fun funky pieces that really snazz up your work wardrobe. And don't forget accessorires. I really like to check out Rebecca's blog over at "The space between my peers". She is basically a fashion blog (regular you and me fashion not weird runway fashion) but also a very frugal lady. I'm sure if you browse around her articles you'll find some great ideas!
http://thespacebetweenmypeers.blogspot.com/
Also, a comment on shoes. I have recently, at the age of 34, decided that really good footwear is worth spending money on. Especially if you are going to be standing on your feet a lot. I think that podiatrists are going to be really set up in the next 20 years or so dealing with all the foot problem caused by people wearing flip-flops with no support for hours at a time on hard surfaces like asphalt and tile.
I personally like the dansko clogs for standing all day, and I think that they look fine with slacks. Not frugal, but so nice on the feet ($89-but I expect to wear them for years and years and years) I bought a pair of their sandals for summer and they were great for standing log periods and looked fine too. Just a thought. . . .
I second the Dansko clogs recommendation. I have them in brown and black. They're the only two pairs of shoes I've worn for over a year now and so far they show no wear. I didn't even know that it was an option for my feet to not hurt before I bought these shoes.
I have never tried Danskos, but my sister loves them. I totally agree with Jenn about footwear being worth the investment.
My friends crack up when I tell them "$1 for the jeans, $6 for the blazer, $100 for the shoes".
Anyway, since ebay was mentioned, I have recently taken up selling some of my finds. Why I asked your size (and I would probably need to know what colors you wanted) is I would be willing to put together a customized mixed lot and sell it to you for next to nothing. If I had what you wanted. But I have quite a few black blazers and that type of thing.
I'm mostly having fun.:)
Post a Comment