Today I had my first substitute teacher training class. I'm very excited, and think that this job will be great. It is flexible and I really enjoy teaching.
One of the things the district requires us to have is a Subpack. That's basically a bag that is filled with things like school supplies (crayons, scissors, chalk, dry erase markers, etc) and emergency time filler activities. This is a great idea! I wish I had known this sooner, because I think I've missed most of the back to school sales. I'm going to hit up Target, Wal-Mart, etc to see if I can find some school supplies on clearance. Other than those sources, does anybody know where I can get things like crayons inexpensively?
I also took a long hard look at my work wardrobe. I've been a graduate student the past two and a half years, so it's heavy on jeans and t-shirts, and slim on office type clothes. I'm going to have to get myself to thrift stores and stock up on a few pieces. This will be an exciting hunt!
4 comments:
Check out dollar stores for inexpensive school supplies. And I don't know how you feel about WalMart, but I notice they tend to have crayons at rock bottom prices (check the party-favor section for small packs).
Enjoy your teaching!
Bring a book too! It's amazing how the jumpiest of kids, all the way up to high school, will sit still if you read to them from a chapter book. It's a great time filler activity and easy to carry around.
Great idea, Story_Girl! I have tons of kids books around. I'll throw some in the bag!
Well, I work at Target and our back to school stuff is currently 75% off.
Post a Comment