Did you know that drug reps give your doctor tons of samples, in hope that they will prescribe those things to their patients? Lots of doctors have many samples of things you may commonly take, but few of my doctors have offered these samples. It's not that they're hoarding them or anything; many of them just forget they have them. Once these drugs are expired, they are disposed of, so be sure to ask if they have samples available. I've had the best luck with birth control pills and my allergy medication. Don't be shy about asking. It can be hard if you're shy like me, but it pays off in the end!
Also- don't forget to tell your doctor and pharmacist that you prefer generic drugs if they are available! This is especially important if you do not have insurance. The price differences can be staggering. I was very ill with strep throat this week. Generic antibiotics for my strep (with my insurance) were 8 dollars instead of 20. Woo hoo!
Stay well everybody!
3 comments:
Also, ask the pharmacy what they cost w/o insurance. I was shocked to find that the same drug through my insurance plan was $10 but anyone off the street could get the same prescription for $8.
I can tell you, as someone who works for a pediatrician, that this is true! We have samples all over the place, for the asking! But no one ever thinks to ask.
Birth control also works well for me when I ask for samples, and my kind is expensive! Asking for just a few months can save me fifty dollars or more. (I would switch, but I really like it, and some things are important enough to sacrifice for.)
Note: I'm a new reader and I am reading all your archives--wonderful!
Post a Comment