
I love potatoes. Not only are they inexpensive, they are also nutritious, and you can do about a million things with them. They go on sale all the time, and keep well. When we first married, a store had a promotional sale where you could get 20 pounds for .99 cents. We ate potato everything for several months, and were very sick of potatoes after that bag was gone!
Today we're having baked potatoes topped with leftover chili, fresh tomatoes, and cheese. Mmmmm. I cook my potatoes in a crock pot. I put several in at once, well washed (we eat the skins) and set it on low for 4-5 hours. I always get too impatient when I microwave them. It seems to take too long. This is one crockpot dish you can overcook. They seem to get this weird rubbery texture if you leave them in longer than five hours or so, so if you're going to be out of the house for 10 hours, this is not a dish I recommend. One of the great things about doing it in the crockpot is that you don't have to poke holes in them. One less thing is fine in my book.
I love baked potatoes, because they are very versatile. You can serve them on the side of something, or they can be a meal in themselves. Restaurants charge ridiculous amounts of money for them. Next time you are at a place that serves baked potatoes, take note at the different combinations you can get. Keep it in mind for the next time you want to serve baked potatoes. It's a comforting fall and winter meal, and almost everybody will find a combination that they like.
1 comment:
We love potatoes too! We eat mashed potatoes with a meat gravy for dinner with a salad as one of our favorite dinners. I can take a small amount of meat and cut in small pieces and make a gravy to serve with it! Never minding soup and all the other things you can do with them!
Post a Comment