My husband and I both love books. We could easily go broke if we bought all the books that we wanted, and could fill up our new house if we kept all the books that came our way. Because of the broke/being trapped in a house of book clutter issues, we satiate our book addiction at the library for the most part. It has to be either 1. A very special or useful book or 2. Hard to find in the library for us to buy it.
The Simple Living Guide met our criteria. I picked it up at a library a few years ago, and earlier this year, decided that I wanted to buy it. Chelee (a reader and fellow blogger) saw me mention that on my FAQ's, and offered to send me a copy that she was done with. Thank you so much, Chelee!
The book is organized by topic: Time, Money, Work, Virtues, Housing, Clutter, etc. Many things about the book are things you probably already know if you're even halfway aware of the voluntary simplicity movement, but there are also lots of things I had never really considered. It was this book that made me really think about housing and how in America we tend to have our own single family home. It made me think of other arrangements. They have examples of people who get by on less by having roommates or living in unconventional housing. It was this book that got me interested in building my own cob house.
The Simple Living Guide is not about frugality per se, but frugality and simplicity often go hand in hand. If you are living a simple, uncluttered life, you are not likely spending much money. It's an excellent reminder to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life, because those often are the best things.
2 comments:
You are more than welcome!
Glad you enjoyed it.
I guess I'll have to check this book out at the library now! I was looking it over at amazon.com this week, and the reviews were generally meh (though I loved this reviewer's summary of simple living tenets). If it's better than meh, enough that you'd buy it, I'll have to take a look!
Post a Comment