I never have to go to the store for any of those things. Here's how!
- I use powdered milk. Even if you only use it in emergencies or for baking, it's excellent to have on hand. It has a very long shelf life, and if your power goes out, you can make just the amount you need for the moment, thus completely eliminating your need for refrigeration.
- I use soy flour as a substitute for eggs. This is hard to find inexpensively in Wichita, but I usually got it for .99 cents a pound in Colorado. 1 T of soy flour and 1 T of water = 1 egg. The flour has a long shelf life and does not need refrigeration.
- I keep flour, yeast, and other baking necessities on hand. I can always bake bread if I need it. (Unless the power goes out, I suppose.)
Because of these things, I will never have to brave a storm for milk, eggs, and bread. What are your favorite things to keep on hand for bad weather situations?
2 comments:
Merry Christmas!
I've heard those shopping trips called a "French Toast Emergency" which cracks me up. We almost always have lots of milk and eggs on hand, with three kids, and we bake our own bread. If we were snowed in for a few days we'd just go without - although I think we do have a big box of powdered milk in the pantry my husband uses for baking. And Farmer Norm just delivered a 25-lb sack of organic winter red flour last week, so we're okay on flour for the next coupld of months. We'd be in trouble if the power went out for more than a day in non-freezing weather - we just bought a whole pig through the co-op and it's in our chest freezer. I guess we'd have the whole neighborhood over for a pork BBQ!
The only special thing I keep on hand for emergency use is a can of powdered infant formula - babies can't have anything except formula or breastmilk. Although I am nursing, if for some reason I wasn't home or if their was a baby visiting I know it's there.
BTW, I don't use soy flour but do Food For Thought or Green Acres not have it at a good price in their bulk bins? I was finally able to get quinoa in bulk there for a good price (pre-packaged it's very expensive, though!)
Jilly (Blogger isn't working for me anymore so I have to sign in with my Google account)
French Toast! HA! That's funny.
I have checked every health food place I know of in Wichita, and they don't have it in bulk. The only times I've seen it are in the little one pound sacks for about 3 bucks each. Do'h! I have not been too pleased with the bulk stuff here. Maybe the health food place I used in Colorado was just extra cheap. (It was called Sunflower, and I think it's a chain, but am not sure.)
Post a Comment