Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Cost Breakdown Day Three: Baked Potatoes and Salad

It's day three of my recipe cost breakdown! Today we had baked potatoes with chive sour cream, cheese, and ham. We also had a bagged salad- Spring Mix with Broccoli and Peapods, with light Italian dressing. Since I had an afternoon job, I threw the potatoes in the crock pot just before I left on low. Potatoes bake very well in a crock pot, but don't leave them more than 4-6 hours on low or they get ooky. Once my husband and the roommate came home I threw the salad in our salad bowl and dinner was served! Today's meal also had a lot of leftovers. I think I may be making potato soup tomorrow with today's potato leftovers. Our roommate also packed his lunch for tomorrow out of the leftovers- he took the leftover salad and threw some extra stuff on it. I calculate cost per meal, not per serving, but I am feeding two adult males and myself, and we almost always have leftovers. Keep that in mind how many you're feeding and how many leftovers you have when you're making your own calculations.

Here we go!

Full Price Baked Potatoes and Salad

2 lbs potatoes (10 lb bag 4.99, so about .99 cents worth)

Sour cream with chives-small container (.99 cents)

Cheddar Cheese (1 cup, about 1.50)

Ham (half a pack of lunch meat ham, about 1.00)

Spring Mix salad in a bag (2.99 per bag)

Salad Dressing (1.49/bottle, used about .20 cents worth)

TOTAL: 7.67

Sale Price Baked Potatoes and Salad

2 lbs potatoes (10 lb bag 1.49 on Manager's special, about.29 cents worth)

Sour Cream with chives-small container (.65 cents on 'about to expire' markdown)

Cheddar Cheese (1 cup, .50 cents)

Ham (half a pack of super sale lunch meat, about .12 cents)

Spring Mix salad in a bag (.99 cents on 'about to expire' markdown)

Salad Dressing (On sale for a dollar, after double coupons FREE!)

TOTAL: 2.55

That's a difference of 5.12!

This week alone, we have saved 16.10. Those seemingly small savings are really adding up!

No comments: