I am serving it with a side of organic grape tomatoes. Yum!
Full Price Onion Soup With Bread and Cheese
French Bread, store bought- (.99 cents)
2 onions (2.99/bag, about 10 onions in the bag .59 cents worth of onions)
1/4 cup butter (I used margarine- 1.69 per 2 cup tub, so .21 cents worth)
2 T flour (let's say about 5 cents- I'm too tired to try to calculate 2 T out of 10 lbs!)
2 cans beef broth (Kroger cans are 1 dollar each, so 2 dollars worth)
Bread is calculated above
1/2 cup swiss cheese (2.99 per 8 oz 2 cup bag, so .74 cents worth of cheese)
I'm leaving out the Parmesan, so I won't calculate that in either recipe.
Organic Grape Tomatoes (2.99)
TOTAL: 7.57
Sale Price/Alterations French Onion Soup with Bread and Cheese
Bread, homemade (With super sale flour and yeast, it will cost about .40 cents a loaf)
2 onions (1.49/manager's special bag, about 10 onions in the bag .30 cents worth of onions)
1/4 cup butter (2 cup Tub on sale, with double coupons came out to .50 cents, so .06 cents worth)
2 T flour (let's say about 5 cents- I'm too tired to try to calculate 2 T out of 10 lbs!)
2 cans beef broth (I used four cubes of Kroger brand broth cubes, bought *gasp* full price at 1.79, so about 7 cents worth)
Bread is calculated above
1/2 cup swiss cheese (1.00 per 8 oz 2 cup bag, so .25 cents worth of cheese)
Organic Grape Tomatoes (manager's special .99 cents!)
TOTAL: 2.12
That's a difference of 5.45!
French Bread, store bought- (.99 cents)
2 onions (2.99/bag, about 10 onions in the bag .59 cents worth of onions)
1/4 cup butter (I used margarine- 1.69 per 2 cup tub, so .21 cents worth)
2 T flour (let's say about 5 cents- I'm too tired to try to calculate 2 T out of 10 lbs!)
2 cans beef broth (Kroger cans are 1 dollar each, so 2 dollars worth)
Bread is calculated above
1/2 cup swiss cheese (2.99 per 8 oz 2 cup bag, so .74 cents worth of cheese)
I'm leaving out the Parmesan, so I won't calculate that in either recipe.
Organic Grape Tomatoes (2.99)
TOTAL: 7.57
Sale Price/Alterations French Onion Soup with Bread and Cheese
Bread, homemade (With super sale flour and yeast, it will cost about .40 cents a loaf)
2 onions (1.49/manager's special bag, about 10 onions in the bag .30 cents worth of onions)
1/4 cup butter (2 cup Tub on sale, with double coupons came out to .50 cents, so .06 cents worth)
2 T flour (let's say about 5 cents- I'm too tired to try to calculate 2 T out of 10 lbs!)
2 cans beef broth (I used four cubes of Kroger brand broth cubes, bought *gasp* full price at 1.79, so about 7 cents worth)
Bread is calculated above
1/2 cup swiss cheese (1.00 per 8 oz 2 cup bag, so .25 cents worth of cheese)
Organic Grape Tomatoes (manager's special .99 cents!)
TOTAL: 2.12
That's a difference of 5.45!
Two days into the experiment, I have saved 10.98. Not bad at all. So far, it is worth my time to hunt down sales.
5 comments:
Catherine --
You're doing great. Who says thrifty food has to be dull? And organic grape tomatoes? YUUUUUUUUMMMMM!!!!! :)
P.S. Don't forget that your typical family would probably have at least one night of not cooking -- either ordering pizza or making an expensive skillet meal or something. :)
Wow and it included the organic tomatoes as well
how cool is that?
NOTE: I deleted the above comment because I accidentally put this under my husband's account! Opps!
I love grape tomatoes, and they go on "about to expire" sale a lot in my area. Since we eat them up in one day pretty much, it works out great for us!
We have leftovers days a lot, which is why I'm only doing this for five days. We also used to eat out a lot more than we should...mmmm...eating out... :) But I think this week we may be getting a 5 buck Little Caesar's Pizza. We've both been craving it for some reason!
I'm so glad you're doing this! I'm in the middle of shopping 101 with some friends this week. Took them to Kroger and blew their minds, but one of them does not get it at all. I have to send her here, because she can't hear me.
Post a Comment