Monday, January 29, 2007

Cost Breakdown Mini Series

When people find out that I coupon/use generics/watch sales like a hawk, I often hear this sentence: "I would do that, but I don't think it would really make that much difference." For the next five days, I'm going to test that theory using our suppers as an example. I will not be making anything different or special to lower the prices- all the dinners featured are something we would usually eat, using items from our pantry. I'm making this for supper tonight. Also included are any alterations I made. My suppers feed three people and usually have leftovers. I'm serving this with a side of broccoli- yum!

Full Price No Alterations Cheesy Cheddar 'n Ham Loaf


1 lb. refrigerated pizza dough (1.50 per roll)

1/2 lb deli sliced Black Forest ham (about 5 bucks a pound, so 2.50)

1 cup Cheddar Shredded Cheese (2.99 for 2 cups of Kraft, not on sale, so 1.49)

1/4 cup Miracle Whip Dressing (2.57 for an 18 oz jar, so about .57 cents worth)

1 egg, beaten (12 cents)

1 Tbsp. 100% Parmesan Grated Cheese (about 8 cents)

Total: 6.26 for main dish, plus 1.50 for frozen broccoli-
TOTAL MEAL: $7.76


Sale Prices/Alterations Cheesy Cheddar 'n Ham Loaf

1 lb. refrigerated pizza dough (making my own, using about .10 cents worth of organic whole wheat flour and .05 cents of yeast and water)

1/2 lb deli sliced Black Forest ham (Using two packs of ham I got on sale at .25 cents a pack, so .50 cents)

1 cup Cheddar Shredded Cheese (Kraft on sale with coupon- .65 cents for two cups, .32 cents for one cup)

1/4 cup Miracle Whip Dressing (1 dollar on sale generic brand for an 18 oz jar, so about .20 cents worth

1 egg, beaten (on sale for .80 cents, or .06 cents)

1 Tbsp. 100% Parmesan Grated Cheese (did not have this, so I left it out.)

Total: 1.23 for main dish, plus sale frozen broccoli $1.00
TOTAL MEAL: 2.23


That's a difference of 5.53!


I will admit that the cheese was a particularly good sale, but I never pay more than two dollars a pound for cheese, so it would not have raised the price very much. This is a good exercise to do when you're tired of clipping coupon or using other money saving strategies. Add it up! How much are you saving? If I saved five dollars every single day by using sale/coupons/generic items, that would be 35 dollars a week, or 140 a month, or 1680 a year...it does add up. We'll have to see how much I save on average this week.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I really like this way of looking at couponing! Keep it up! I know that since I've started, my grocery budget has been reduced, but it's nice to see some practical evidence of that... especially when I often buy in bulk.

Like the cheese...:) I have been to Dillons 3 times now! Someone once told me to never be stingy with the cheese, since it costs so much less than meat. And it makes food so yummy!

AnnMarie said...

Why in the world do I, living in the DAIRY STATE of Wisconsin NEVER find cheese as cheap at other people do? Never pay more than $2/pound? I think I'm lucky to find it at $3 and $3.50 is more common. Coupons are rare for cheese, and never doubled around here.

::sigh::

I did recently find some under $3, and bought 3 pounds. Got home to discover it wasn't extra sharp cheddar but just sharp. We ate it, but it wasn't nearly as good. And it was nearly $3/# so not worh the price for the worse taste. :(

Askazombiehousewife said...

Wow you should teach a class :-) to the people in your town

Annmarie
Cheese is even more here too so I understand.

Have you thought of cooking with it like fancy mac and cheese.

my husband would have most likely liked the sharp over the extra sharp.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Yes, that cheese was pretty cheap, even for here! They were having a crazy stock up sale at Dillons, and I had coupons, which were doubled. Woo hoo! About two or three times a year, the Kroger brand cheese goes on sale 10 for 10. I stock up like crazy then- shredded cheese freezes very well.

I love mac and cheese so much, but my husband hates it, so I rarely ever make it.