Do you have small animals that eat hay? We have four guinea pigs and a rabbit, and we were going broke buying those little bags of hay at the pet store. Hay is very important to small animal health, so we would buy it. However, the bag that lasted about two weeks (if that), and it was really killing our budget. We were spending about 240 dollars a year on HAY. It boggles the mind, thinking back on it.
A few years and a small fortune spent later, a friend of mine found out how much we had been paying for hay. She about keeled over and told us to head over to the local farm supply shop and buy it by the bale. Just be sure to ask for grass based hay, like Timothy, not alfalfa. We spend anywhere from 5-7 dollars per bale and each bale lasts us almost a year. We store it in a clean trash can, and we used this method even when we lived in a small apartment. (We kept the trash can on the balcony.) If you have as many small animals as us, this tip can save you 233 dollars a year!
They also have a lot of non-farm animals stuff. We were able to get our dog a bed there for a fraction of what even Wal-Mart wanted. Sadly, we have not found good quality dog food to be cheaper there yet, but I always keep my eye on the price.
Head over to Crystal's for more Frugal Friday Tips!
3 comments:
Great tip- you might want to fix the links at Crystal's blog- the link there took me to last week's post, where you found curtains at home.
Thanks! I fixed the link!
Thanks for the reminder! :) When we had two bunnies we would use the hay my parents would buy for their goats. But now 1600 miles away, I am feeling I may become a bunny or cavy mom sometime soon again (I feel the craving of snuffles and ear floppings and little squeals around the apartment!) I am glad for the reminder. :)
Post a Comment