Wednesday, January 24, 2007

One More E-Bay Item

One of my goals this year was to try to recoup the cost of the things I buy at the thrift store by picking up something to sell. I got this idea from Meredith, and today I'm trying it out.

Behold the Boppy! This is my first attempt at buying something specifically to sell, with a particular price goal in mind. My hoped for price is not high. I just want it to at least enough to "pay for" the other items I bought for my household today, and the cost of the boppy itself, of course. I'm not going to mention how much I spent until after the experiment is over. Stay tuned-I'll let you know how it goes!

5 comments:

Abigail B. said...

This sounds like a great idea. However, one thing about your listing worries me - your statement that "this comes from a smoke-free home". While this is technically correct, you really have no idea where it came from before it went to the thrift store, and for something which is designed to be used very near to an infant's face, that's kind of disconcerting. I guess I know one more thing to watch out for on e-Bay now; I never would have thought of this aspect of "smoke-free home" disclaimers! Good luck ;)

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Abigail- thanks for the comment! I was wondering if I should put the smoke free disclaimer or not, since I can't be 100% sure (other than my home being smoke free) but I could not detect any smoke on it and I am VERY smoke sensitive. Smoke makes me sick, and if people don't specify that an item comes from a smoke free home in an e-bay ad, then I will write them and ask! It has stopped me from buying a lot of things, and it's one of the things that keeps me from getting a lot of furnature off Freecyle. (I can wash a shirt over and over to get the smoke out, but I can't wash a mattress.)

If you don't smoke and/or don't have pets, say so in your listing. It means a lot to some people! :)

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Just popping in to say that I decided to edit the listing. I can say for 99% sure that this item came from a smoke free home (really, I can tell on stuff that has been washed several times sometimes) but I am not 100% positive. All of my other listings are things that I know exactly where they came from, so my smoke free claim is for sure true on those. Thanks, Abigail!

Meredith said...

Good luck!

I've found that buying to pay for my own items takes the perfectionism out of Ebay for me. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't list unless I have a full operation going, with professional graphics and packing supplies, etc. I just sold a sweater for $13. Nothing spectactular, but it made my kids' clothing free.

Abigail B. said...

I know what you mean about being smoke-sensitive (I am too), I guess I am just more picky when it comes to infant health. I wonder if you encounter many situations where eBay items are coming from a smoke-free home but the listing doesn't indicate that? I am not sure I would think to put that if I were listing electronics - but I do think about it when listing fibers, fabrics, books, etc. It's definitely something to consider.

I will be curious to know if you reach your price goal!