We're getting ready to plant our vegetable garden! There was a garden already fenced off, but it was quite a mess. My husband, our housemate, and I spent Sunday afternoon getting it ready.
The Supplies:
- One heavy duty garden rake- a garage sale find!
- One shovel
- Our brand new red wheelbarrow
- Tons of black trash bags
- Two strapping young men
Here's a Before shot:

There was a lot of this weird long grass. Some of it appeared to be growing in there, but most of it seemed to be just...there. The area on the right will someday be our compost heap, but it's a mess right now. Cleaning that up will be another weekend project.

This is our garden rake, which I found at a garage sale for a dollar! It was the most help out of all our products.

We also found lots of weird things in the grass stuff. For example, this Welcome Mat. Okay. There was also a lot of candy wrappers, hose bits (it looked like somebody cut a garden hose into tiny bits and threw the pieces in the grass pile), coreal reef, fish tank accessories, and a few flower pots.

Here's my favorite random find- a screen door. Okay.

Here's our brand new wheelbarrow. I had a hard time finding a used one, and the new one was not too terribly expensive.

Here's the roommate raking up all the junk/grass/candy wrappers. The gloves were more necessary for the random stuff in the garden than for using the rake.

My sweetie, clearing out the muck with the garden rake! I'm so glad the two guys were there. I could do it myself, but it would have taken me much, much longer. I was in charge of bagging up the stuff they threw in the wheelbarrow. They took turns using the rake and the shovel.

I bagged all of those bags full of grass and trash. It was a lot!

Here's our "After" shot. It still needs some work here and there, but it looks much, MUCH better. I'm going to start working on it this week. I'm using an E-book called
Momma's Guide To Growing Your Own Groceries to help me. My mother is quite the green thumb, but I've never had a garden to work on all by myself without her guidance. I'll post periodic updates- we hope to eat a lot of vegetables out of our very own garden this summer!
1 comment:
WOW! Way to go! That looked like an enormous amount of work. We've been working on our compost heap too...good for us! Happy gardening and composting!
Post a Comment