Friday, March 09, 2007

Keeping the House Together While Sick

So as I've mentioned in the past few posts, I've been ridiculously sick the past week or so. Thank God that's over! The roommate got as sick as I was, and my husband was under the weather as well, so we were not really in the mood to do anything but stare at the TV. Even reading did not appeal to me, as holding up the book just too too much strength. Forget shopping for bargains, or cleaning the house, or trying to do very much for dinner. Here's what got us through this:

1. The library. As soon as I decided that I was getting sick and it was not just allergies, I went and stocked up on books and videos. I also do this when a big storm is expected. It's a great way to combat boredom when you can't really get out. If you're too sick to go to the library but still want things, you can put them on hold and have somebody pick them up for you. (Check your library for their policy- most libraries I've been associated with would allow this as long as they brought the person's card.). Most places do holds for free, but my library charges .25 cents per hold unless you belong to Friends of the Library.

2. What's for dinner? Crockpots can save your sanity at times like this. So can having a built up pantry. We did not need to go to the store during this time, because our pantry is stocked. We use powdered milk, so we did not even have to leave for that. This is also a time to use those gift cards that you may have forgotten about. Most restaurants will prepare a take out order for you, and you can use your gift card. And yes, ordering a pizza to be *gasp* delivered won't kill you if that's all you can handle. As long as you don't do this every single night of a three week illness, it will be fine. Check online for coupons to pizza places. I found better deal online for Pizza Hut than their specials and the coupons I already had. I've also considered asking what the lowest price available is, but I have not been brave enough to do that.

3. Do the Necessary Chores, and ignore the rest- In my house, that is figuring out what is for dinner, the dishes, the end of the day general pick up of the main living area, the laundry, and wiping the bathroom counters/swishing the toilet each day. That sounds like a lot, but it does not take me more than 20-30 minutes of hands on time for these chores. I also use my dryer when I'm sick, rather than hanging the laundry. I let everything else go until I felt better. By keeping up on those small things, I keep the house under control but not much more. I would not be embarrassed to have somebody suddenly drop by, but I would wish that my house were cleaner. I also try to disinfect the doorknobs, faucets, light switches, etc a few times a day when somebody in the house is sick.


I don't have children, so I always gain a new and profound respect for mothers when I'm this sick. All mothers are supermoms to me, if they handle being sick *and* taking care of kids at the same time.

2 comments:

Amy said...

We have been soooo sick over here and my daughter has been particularly demanding. Our house has went to you-know-where and today I am trying to care for her and get things back in order. There is nothing worse than being sick and having to sit around and look at how bad your house is!

Hope you are feeling better! Great tips!

Mom2fur said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! I've been fighting something-in-my-chest for so long now, I finally broke down and am going to the doctor tomorrow. I like your idea of concentrating only on what really needs to be done. Honestly, nobody's gonna see the pile of unfolded laundry in the back of my laundry room, anyway. At least, I hope not...