When I was a professional cleaner, it was pounded into me that details can make or break how clean a home looks. We had to make sure the house looked clean and smelled fresh. Notice that there was nothing in that statement about the house actually being clean. When our boss evaluated a home I had just cleaned, the first thing she looked at was the corners of the ceilings- did I get the cobwebs? Did I wash out the soap dish in the bathroom? Could she smell the service's signature scent? These small details did not take long to do, but often made all the difference in how the house looked.
I've not been a very good homemaker lately. The house is looking a big shabby, and the details I used to pay attention to have been neglected. My hardwood floor is dusty and covered in dog hair. Don't even get me started on the closet in the guestroom- that's where we keep our small animal supplies and there are pine shavings everywhere! The top of my fridge, once a sacred empty space, has become a clutter catch all, and I've not taken the time to fold the blankets on the chairs and couch or organize the library shelf in quite some time. My house is not dirty exactly- the kitchens and bathrooms are sanitized and look pretty nice other than the stuff that has accumulated on the counter, you can see the floor, it does not smell like rotting food or anything like that, but it sure can use some gussying up.
I really felt the shabbiness of my home yesterday when the roommate came home early from work-unexpecitly -with guests! He may have his own "apartment" downstairs to entertain in, but they still have to walk through my area of our home. I was so embarrassed, and silently lamenting- why did he bring company on a day when my house was a wreck? But of course, it had been kind of yucky for awhile. I had been blaming the fact that I had been working a lot lately as a substitute teacher, so I was out of my home more...but I managed to keep my home together when I was out of the house for 50-80 hours a week. What had changed?
...and then it hit me. My housekeeping notebook was gathering dust in its place in the kitchen. I faithfully used my housekeeping notebook when I was out of the house all the time, but since I had become a SAHW, I had abandoned it for the most part, thinking that I no longer really needed the routine, since I was home all the time anyway. I still figure out what is for dinner the night before, but I am definitely neglecting things like dust mopping the wood floors. Last night when I could not sleep, I took it off the shelf and flipped through it. I could see another reason it was no longer working for me- when I designed the routine, I was at a very different point in my life, and the routine worked for that time. It no longer works for the way I live now. I need to revamp my routine to have it work for me now.
So over the next few days, I am going to start paying attention to those details in my home again. I'm going to figure out a routine that works for me now. And I'm going to clean out the guest room closet- we have a guest coming next week and I want her to be able to use it! Keep an eye out for before and after pictures!
11 comments:
Your house sounds nice and 'lived in' to me! But I know what you mean...those cobwebs bug me, too, when I see them. I really think it just means you have a lot on your plate.
I use a site called "My Ta-Da" lists. You make up your own to-do lists on it, and it's free. I have a list for every room in the house. This helps me to 'not miss' anything. But before you think I'm overly clean, I'm not. My house is probably the very definition of "lived in", LOL! There are 7 of us here...plus a dog, 2 cats and 3 ferrets!
Sorry if I am incorrect - as I thought I read your were now working full-time. Did you also change your blog description? Best wishes.
l- thanks for the question! I do not work full time. I work 3-20 hours a week as a substitute teacher. I consider myself a full time homemaker, and subbing is just a way to earn money on the side! :) My blog description is still the same- Trying to be debt free by 2012, without me working full time outside the home!
Again, sorry about that!
It sounds as if you have a good balance of work/being home. I wish you all the best with your goals!
By the way, I am not perfect either. Thanks for being transparent with all of us. It's a work in progress, always, isn't it?
No problem l! :)
Could you please give me some examples of this housekeeping note book you speak of. Your house sounds like mine...not dirty really but a bit unkempt.
I would love to see what you do for ideas and see if I can work something out that might work for me and my home.
Thanks in advance.
I tell ya, folks, for the less-organized-than-FHP people, Flylady is a hit with me. It saved my bacon at carnival time and when I've been sick or freaking out over something or another.
Like with the notebook, it's establishing habits, something I'm not good at doing with the desirable habits. Like actually getting the house picked up.
I keep up with my housekeeping most of the time and find having a clean, uncluttered space makes a difference in my work performance as it eliminates worry and distraction. Also, like the blog and glad to see another Kansas person in the frugality area of the blogsphere.
I second mama of 2's request for a notebook example. My organization ideas are all in my head - and tend to stay there ;-) Once in a while I write out a list of things to do, and that's when my house gets truly clean, but the list can also be long and discouraging. I'm hoping the notebook is more helpful/less intimidating.
We must be in the same spot with the house. I recently left my job and am now job hunting. I just could not be there any longer. I did notice how bad my house had gotten. In my case dirty. Hate to admit it but I am coming clean - so to speak. After my Dad passed and dealing with my depression I let so many things go. But now I am working hard at getting back together. I really hope you take pictures and share your notebook with us. I would love to get one going here too.
Post a Comment