Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bathroom Makeover: Upstairs Bathroom Version

I finally got around to redoing our upstairs bathroom. It cost a little more than our downstairs bathroom redo, but I went a little more wild with new hardware upstairs. Overall, it cost $55, which is not too bad. I picked colors that went with our current shower curtain and decorations, so that saved us some money right there. Clearance sales, oops paint racks, and using what you have already can go a long way!

Here's some before shots. The people who owned our house before us loved their frogs. The entire bathroom was painted a lovely blue, and it would have been just fine, had it not been for the frog theme. The frog wallpaper was cute, but not me.More frogs! And the top of the wooden medicine cabinet. And a wood toilet seat.


Most of my time was spent scraping down the wallpaper. It took FOREVER. It just did not want to come down, so some of my budget had to be spent on that special wallpaper remover stuff. I don't think it worked much better than water and scraping to be perfectly honest.

We painted the walls a lovely purple shade that I got off the oops paint rack at Lowe's for five dollars.

Most of my budget was spent on new hardware. Here's one of our new towel racks. I just did not like the wooden ones that they had, and although I was just going to repaint them, I saw these Simply Shabby Chic ones on clearance at Target and could not resist.

I was not able to scrape off the wooden frogs, so I replaced the faceplate with the one I took down from the roommate's bathroom when I redid it.

I hated that wooden toilet seat, so I replaced it with this one. I also bought a new toilet paper holder to match the towel racks.
My sink area...not much new going on here. I do want to replace the boring mirror someday with something more fun, but so far the ones I've liked have been INSANELY expensive, so I'm waiting for a better deal.
Another view of the shower curtain, new paint, and new towel bar.
This picture used to be in our bedroom, but I thought it looked really good in the bathroom, so we moved it. I'm thinking of painting the frame to match the newly painted cabinet.
Here's the cabinet. I painted it a pale yellow with a small pot of paint that I got on the oops rack for .50 cents. Fifty. Cents. That's good even for oops rack prices! The little drawer thing is something that I picked up at Goodwill not long after we married. It's been many things, but now it is painted and holds my husband's electric razor and assorted odd and ends.

9 comments:

Paula said...

How dramatic! You certainly did a lot with $55. The new bathroom seems very soothing and relaxing. Nice job!
Paula

Amy K. said...

It looks great! I love the lilac walls!

Thinking about the mirror, one idea I saw elsewhere is to put a frame around the mirror itself. It's something I would never have thought of, so I had to toss it your way.

Again: Great job, it looks gorgeous!

Alexandra V. said...

For future reference, the secret to wallpaper removal is a spray bottle of liquid fabric softener, diluted with water. It dissolves paper and glue both and makes it a lot easier to scrape off. I de-papered my whole kitchen with it.

Becky said...

I think your bathroom looks great! And I personally can't wait to see other great ideas you have for my hubby just graduated law school and we are moving back to Dallas and have to start working on paying back his loans/debt. I am 25 yrs old and I am trying to make our new apartment as homey as possible on a limited budget.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

The bathroom looks great! The color is similar to the color in our master bathroom. You did an amazing amount of stuff for only $55!

Ruthie said...

Beautiful. I love the way the tulip picture matches the walls. You're getting really good at this. :)

Ruthie

Coach Paulette said...

Along similar lines as Amy above - I have a neighbor who used painted door or wall trim to make a frame around his large bathroom mirror - it turned out beautiful and was much cheaper than replacing the mirror.

Jenn said...

I love this bathroom - did you take the towel bar off the medincine cabinet? That is a great idea! We have been looking for one but didn't like the towel bars on it since we wouldn't hang a towel on it.

www.fullofboys.wordpress.com

Kelly said...

Wow! Your bathroom looks great!

How did you remove the wood towel hangers and such? We have them in both of our bathrooms and I would love to be able to take them down and hang something prettier in its place.

MrsB