Monday, July 09, 2007

A Call For Support

Are you a stay at home wife who does not have children? Vegan Ruthie wrote this post and I think it is a very important discussion. There is some amount of support and social acceptability to being a stay at home mom, but when you're a woman without children, there is a pause. I feel this acutely and will blog about this later after I form some more coherent thoughts on the issue. Go and take a look- Ruthie wants to know if there are any resources aimed specifically to stay at home wives, and frankly, I'm curious as well.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

Going to check this out! Love to hear more about this. I know the calm and peace that comes from my being at home. It has also allowed us to do many things as a couple, trips, vacations, and adventures that just wouldn't be possible otherwise. I feel fortunate to be in this position. And I know that I make a higher salary at home than I would at work, and yet no one seems to accept this? Ah well, on to the link.

ChiefFamilyOfficer said...

I personally was not a stay at home wife (or interested in being one) but you made me think of Millionaire Women Next Door, which includes a chapter on wives who didn't work outside the home but built their families' wealth to millionaire levels by being home managers. Good luck! I hope you join them someday :)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Thanks for that link. As you know, I'm a SAHW. It is frustrating to get those suspicious looks from people when I say I'm a SAHW. And even my husband's coworkers have some weird ideas of me. DH had someone once ask him if I rub his feet every night when he gets home. I think he had me confused with a dog who brings slippers to its master. ;-)

I've been a SAHW for 8 years now, and I have yet to find any resources for wives who stay home but have no children. Everything seems aimed at SAHMs. Sometimes it feels like I'm invisible to the world because it's as if having a job or making babies is the only thing that makes a woman worth something. But over the years, I've grown far more confident about my role. I'm at that point in life in which I really don't care what other people think about my choices. This works for my husband and me, so it really shouldn't matter to anyone else what I do.