Saturday, August 04, 2007

How Much It Cost Me To Work This Week

Well, other than being incredibly tired, this week went pretty well at work. My job is none too exciting (proofreading/editing tax forms- woot!) but it is nice to know how much this paycheck is going to pay off, so that we can someday even my husband can work part time if he wants. If we paid off our mortgage super early, that would grant us a lot of financial freedom. For now, the annoyance of working outside the home and paying off said home sooner is outweighing my desire to be back home. We've been reading Dave Ramsey a lot recently, and one of his solutions to get out of debt is to work a lot of overtime or take a second job. While out debt is not the "bad" consumer debt he is talking about, we still want it gone. I really don't like working outside the home, but I do want the mortgage and student debt gone, and if I worked, it would go away a lot faster. My dream job would be to work from home for a company while we paid off the loans, but I have no idea where to even start to get that.

This week was pretty expensive. I bought a pair of black work pants brand new. I have the hardest time ever finding black pants used. Either they don't fit or they're faded eight ways to Sunday. I have found them used before, but it is one of my hardest secondhand finds. The pants I bought at Old Navy cost 30 dollars. I also fell in love two work type shirts on sale for five dollars each at Kohl's, so that brings the clothes total this week to 40 dollars.

I took the bus all week. That is going to work out nicely, and will be less expensive and worrisome than driving across down in my iffy car. At 2.50 a day, this cost 12.50 for the five day week.

I forgot my lunch yesterday, and I don't yet have emergency lunches (aka: canned soup) in my desk yet. Opps, 5.50 down the drain!

Temp jobs in Wichita are not paid in any fabulous kind of way, but this week I still earned far more than I spent.

My working totals are currently:

Work Clothes: $42.50
Transportation: $15.00
Eating Out: $5.50

Total: $63

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To keep your black pants black. When you wash them for the first time add a cup of vinegar. It helps them not to bleed. Works with all colors that bleed in the wash.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

That's a great idea! I'll try it when I wash them! Has anybody here ever dyed faded pants? I've considered buying thrift pants that were perfect except for fading, but I am nervous about dying things.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I've dyed a faded black shirt before. Let me tell you that my opinion is that it's better to just buy new than to waste time with dye. I used Rit dye, and I had to run the washer about 8 times to get rid of all the dye. That was a major water and energy (the washer's and mine) waster.

Really, $30 for a new pair of pants that you'll wear a lot is not much.

Kim said...

I wish you the best of luck! You are a very creative person and I'm sure you can navigate your way around those big expenses!

Fishie said...

A friend of mine works from home for an airline booking department. They employ people all over the country. You might look into different airlines and see what is out there. Continental has been hiring lately, and you can do everything from home if you're approved and trained.

ChiefFamilyOfficer said...

Is there a Target near you? You can sometimes find fairly well-made clothes there for a low price. Much better quality than Wal-Mart.

Also, have you tried a consignment store? The ones in my area actually seem too upscale for me (designer brands), but I keep reading good things about it :)

Mika said...

One site to check out for work from home places is www.workplacelikehome.com Most of what is out there is phone work, not much data entry, etc. but depending on your skill set (you do bookkeeping right?) it can be in high demand. I do work for Westat right now, pretty flexible hours, I work after the kids are in bed. And the pay is really pretty good 8.25-10.25 an hour, unless you're bilingual then it's more. Check it out and good luck!