Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Gentle Yard Sale Request

One of the things I miss most about being home (and I miss A LOT of things) is going to yard sales on Thursday and Friday, rather than in the Saturday rush. On the other hand, super bargains are usually on Saturday, so I can't complain much.

I've noticed a few things this season that are driving me insane, so I thought I'd kindly request two things of people holding yard sales.

1. Please put up more than one sign if your house is not near your first sign. I hate it when I turn to follow a Yard Sale! 123 Walnut St! And never find Walnut St. Weeks later, I drive by and realize that I just had to turn left, then right, then left, then left again, then right, then left and I'm there. Please, put up an arrow or two, not just a sign on the main drag.

2. On that note, please take down your signs after your sale is over. I hate realizing that I've just turned left, then right, then left, then left again, then right, then left to get to the HUGE MULTI-FAMILY SALE...that ended two weekends ago.

In exchange, I promise that I won't pull up in my ginormous truck, roll down the window, and grunt "A dollar for all the clothes on that table, final offer" and peel off when you say no, like I witnessed at one yard sale. Thanks in advance!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more and I have one to add.

3. Put a Date on your yard sale sign to begin with.

Melanie said...

You are awesome! That is sooo true!

I know, what we do to take down our signs, is: I tell my husband to take down the signs first, and THEN we pack up our stuff. It is the way we close it and Everything is done! No one looking for a yard sale that isn't there!

We also, like you all have said, have date, TIME (from blank to blank), several signs (one in the yard in front of the house even) and address on the sign! I want to make sure I get all the customers I can get!

I agree with you guys, I know when I go out looking for a sale, I can't believe how unprepared people are! Two weeks ago, I drug my husband out of bed for one that sounded GREAT! We were there AT 7am (start time), NOTHING out but an EMPTY Table!!! Man, we are always ready a half hour earlier, just in case! LOL

MJ said...

Oh yes! And to add another one: if your sale doesn't extend all the way down the driveway, please put up some kind of sign or barrier. I can't count the number of times this year I've been heading down the driveway to a great-looking playset or piece of woodworking equipment only to have a visibly outraged yard saler say "That stuff isn't for sale!" Well, then, don't leave it five feet from the stuff that IS for sale, with no obvious line between them, please.

It's easy enough to set up your own chair and table at the place where the yard sale ends—at my own yard sales I've never had a single person fail to understand that they aren't supposed to go any farther than that.

Kim said...

I would also like to add write big on the sign... and not just the words yard sale. I can't tell you how many times I have had to stop the car and walk to the sign to find out the address. Of course you already mentioned my biggest pet peeve. Take those signs down after the sale!!!