Wow,
this post on Make Love, Not Debt really made my head explode. That does not seem like a game I'd want to play. But then, I'm pretty risk adverse. I can't even stand dividing the bill up where you take the total and divide it by the number of people there, because it seems like every time I've done that, I end up eating a bowl of soup and the others eat appetizers, meal, deserts, drinks. When I go out with a group of friends, I ask for a separate check right off the bat. Is that so strange?
7 comments:
Wow! I wouldn't want to play that game either! What happens the next time you go out - you could get stuck with the bill several times in a row, talk about a budget buster!
My friends and I play this, but then again we are all single with good paying jobs. It works out in the end because it evens out over time. The only thing we do differently is we wait till the end of the night to throw our credit cards in the ring. We turn them face side down and let the waitress pick one. Probably not fiscally responsible, but it is fun when we know that no one is going to go broke paying the bill.
I don't mind picking up the check, if the people I'm with are willing to take a turn! However with certain family members, they will never pick up the check, and avoid it at all costs, even going to the bathroom when the waitress is expected back! So with those people, I always ask for separate checks at the beginning!
We always pick up the check when we are eating out with college students, as a way to pay it forward-when we were at that place in our lives, people paid for our meals too!
Oh, we pick up the check a lot when we ask people out! I'm thinking more of when you go out with huge groups, where everybody is expected to pay for their own stuff. I could never afford a 1000 dollar check (where were these people eating?)
Also, as a former waitress, I HATED having one check and four credit cards to deal with. I liked it better when everybody asked for their own check- it was much less of a hassle for me. Having them argue was even worse. If we've decided we're going to pay, we usually go pay it before the waitress brings the check to the table- much less hassle! :)
Ugh, that's just backwards gambling!! I'll stick to asking for seperate bills, thanks! Once upon a time, when I was young, single, and wealthy and had friends in the same position, it might have made sense, but I've got responsibilities now, darn it. Small children depend on me!!!!
No way I would do this. Hubby and I work hard to save our money and it would irk me to no end to pay for someone else's appetizer, $$$ entree, drink and dessert. Especially when we normally split an appetizer and an entree and drink water. I have picked up the check a few times when we've taken out of town guests to dinner, but, that's different.
uh, no, I don't love my friends that much! If I ask to take them out then I pay... otherwise its dutch!
God bless,
Sallie
Post a Comment