Thursday, December 06, 2007

How Low Can We Go?

I've alluded to the fact that we're seeking a new car, and we think we've found one. We borrowed it for the day, and plan to go back and buy it tonight- if they will meet our price. We're excited, but kind of freaked out.

We have a problem. We're not sure how much of a price cut we can reasonably expect. We're not sure how to haggle. How much should we push? We're willing to walk away, but we don't want to walk away just to have the same conversation at another dealer about another car. We've heard that things have changed from back in the day when you could talk a car down a lot, but we can't really compare our experiences, as it's been ten years since we bought our other cars, and they were not from dealers.

So I ask you, seasoned, experienced readers- how much is reasonable to expect? $1000? $2000? The sticker price is not too bad to begin with, but of course we want it for less!

7 comments:

Amy K. said...

No advice on haggling - I bought my new scion xA in part so I WOULDN'T have to haggle, and my previous used car at another no-haggling dealer.

I can, say, however, that my xA has been awesome, I've heard nothing but good things about the xB, and if you do end up with the Scion, sign up for the free events in your area (here in MA they gave us up to 5 tickets to Six flags, lunch, T-shirts, a travel mug, and other misc. merchandising).

Good Luck!

Amy K. said...

Oh! And you CAN buy an aftermarket center armrest and cruise control - Scion sells the armrest for about $110, and I don't remember where I bought the cruise control but they are out there.

Madame Coin said...

You need to figure out what the dealership got it for (if it's a dealership) because they will not sell it for a loss. But they're usually willing to take a pretty slim profit margin.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you would go to do so.

MelissaQ said...

Good luck. I hope you get it. Its always a little exciting to get a car

Arlene said...

Consider going on the end of the week and toward the end of the month... which I guess that's what you're doing, lol. The dealers are trying to reach their quota and are more willing to haggle during those times because they need those final buyers to boost their sales numbers.

Also, never pay those "paperwork processing fees" (ours was about $215!!!) -- it's bogus. Tell them to hand over the pen, and you'll fill out the paperwork yourself. They'll get you with those sneaky little "fees".

And, make sure that when you get to your final price, you let them know that includes everything -- taxes, tires, and any other additions. Which reminds me, ask for extras -- tinted windows, seat covers, whatever.

You might even consider writing a check (but don't sign it yet, obviously, lol) and saying, this is what we'll pay. And leave if they won't take it. Decide on a price and stick to it. Really. Stick to it! We talked our car (2003 Chrysler Concorde) down from over $13k to $9,500... and now we know we could have done even better. But, we got $500 custom seat covers out of the deal (they ended up taking a loss on that one -- hahaha, makes me smile because at least we got them there!)

And, if they're not willing to deal, just tell them you want to think about things and you'll come back. I guarantee that will make them go down even more; they never want you to leave.

There are a lot of things we didn't know about that we wish we had known sooner. Hopefully one of these things will help y'all out. :)

Lisa B. said...

Good Luck! Don't be afraid to haggle the price down $2000-3000. And as was stated above, make sure it's clear EVERYTHING you want done to the car before delivery, such as new tires.

Stick to your guns! Let us know what happens.

Amy K. said...

And it wouldn't hurt to check the used car value at Kelly Blue Book, if you haven't already. The private Party value from KBB is lower than the Dealer value, and may be a good bargaining point.