Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday Morning Mention

I'm back from my Exotic Beach vacation, and let me tell you- I loved loved LOVED Hawaii! We were on Oahu the whole week, and it was difficult to get on the plane back to Kansas. What a beautiful place. More on that later...in the meantime, enjoy some of the things I've been reading today!

The Great Office Escape talks about being a freelancer. This is something that I'm very slowly working on doing...someday I hope to have a full time income from freelance work.

Michelle at Anti 9 to 5 Guide reminds freelancers not to live check to check- things can be a little more unpredictable when you're not getting paid every two weeks via direct deposit by The Man.

Clever Dude explores the possibility of being a one income family. I am absolutely sure that many more people could do this if they wanted to and were willing to make sacrifices for it. Even though I work, we're living off one income. Mine is savings and debt payment, and (And for the Hawaii wedding, my overtime pay went to our vacation. We don't want to get used to my income- I am contract after all, and have sporadic freelance writing income. We know we can live on one if we need to, because we don't live a lifestyle that requires two incomes.

Thrifty Florida Mama gives her children an allowance- and it's helping her get out of debt!

Along the same lines, do kids value it more when they earn it themselves? My parents took this approach. I remember feeling so victorious when I paid for my trip to New York City with my school choir when I was 16. It cost $1069- I still remember the figure because paying every dime of it myself seemed so amazing at the time! I do think it was valuable for me. I learned that if I really REALLY wanted something, I could get it, but I may have to sacrifice other things. Spending weekends as a cashier at Cub Foods rather than hanging out with my buddies was not exciting, but it was worth it to spend a week in NYC with my friends. Going places and doing exciting things seemed so much more possible after that experience. If I could save that much money in less than a year, what else could I do?

A guest post at Mrs. Micah talks about how to prepare for unexpected medical bills. It happens, and it drives many into bankruptcy. Check it out!

Have you seen the Finwikian (financial wiki) yet? Take a look!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Rae said...

Aha! I KNEW you were going to Hawaii! You gave away the answer when you mentioned that you were eager to compare prices at the exotic location with those at home. That told me that you were going somewhere with comparable products and currency, so you were most likely remaining within your country. Hawaii made the most sense. Too bad you didn't have a betting pool. :-)

You ask in your post "Do kids value it more when they earn it themselves?" In my case YES. In high school, college, and university I traveled to New York City, Washington DC, Chicago, Colorado, and Scotland all on my own. I remember the saving up process as vividly as the trips themselves.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Great reasoning, Raven! I should have had a betting pool...maybe next trip? :)

I know that saving up for my trips in high school really made an impact on me as well! I also went to DC on my own when I was 18! I wish I'd traveled overseas more often at that time in my life. Going on the trips was so much fun, and it made my very boring jobs seem more worth it.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip! Hawaii is a great place to visit, isn't it?

Thanks for all these links. You've just introduced me to a few new blogs I'd never been to before.

Mrs. Micah said...

Thanks for mentioning my post and site, Catherine. :)

I like how you mentioned that it gave you a stronger sense of possibility. I think I felt the same way...it's quite freeing.

Unknown said...

What a great blog. I am also anti 9-5. My current job is as a fitness trainer, personal trainer - those I get paid for with money--mom of four I get paid for with love which unfortunately doesn't cover the mortgage bill.... Thanks for the links.

Hawaii is beautiful - loved it when I lived there!!