Thursday, June 26, 2008

Frugal Food Series: Beans!

Jenn is continuing her Frugal Food Series with the humble bean.

I love beans and lentils. They are incredibly versatile and very cheap, healthy, and filling. We practically lived on them at certain points in our marriage, and we still enjoy many bean, lentil, an split pea based dishes.

Tonight, we tried this split pea soup. It was VERY yummy. I sauteed the veggies and then put the sauteed veggies and other ingredients in my crockpot. I cooked it on low all day, then served it with homemade bread with garlic and Parmesan cheese. Yum.

Chili often appears on our table in the winter. I don't really follow a recipe, it's just beans, chopped or canned tomatoes, and whatever interesting veggies we find in the fridge, with 1-2 T chili powder, 1 t cumin, and a dash of Cheyenne pepper. Sometimes we throw in some chicken or vegetable broth. Cook in the crockpot on low all day. We sometimes add browned hamburger, but we're really partial to meatless chili.

You can serve these black bean brownies for dessert- I used extra chocolate chips, and everybody was stunned (stunned!) when I told them I had replaced the flour with beans. It made me want to go buy books like these.

In grad school, we at this lentil casserole at least once a week. It made excellent leftovers, and went well with a salad on the side. I got the recipe in one of my favorite frugal cookbooks.
Baked Lentils with Cheese

Serves 6
Bake at 375

1 3/4 c lentils, rinsed
2 c water
1 bay leaf
2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t marjoram, sage, and thyme
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c canned tomatoes

Cover (I used foil over my casserole dish) and baked for 30 minutes at 375. Uncover and stir in:

1 green pepper, chopped
2 T chopped parsley

Sprinkle 2 c. cheddar cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, for five minutes or until the cheese melts.

Go here for more bean ideas!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

its all about being frugal!
i like this blog, just found it :]
check out mine! hehe.

-Angela!

Anonymous said...

- do you use dry or canned beans?
m-

Carrie said...

i love this casserole too! i JUST made it last night actually!! And amazingly my husband actually ate it! Will wonders never cease! MWL is one of my all time favorite cookbooks! I use it every week! i love your blog! i just discovered it!!

Ps... I added 1/2 cup of our favorite barbecue sauce to the lentils! Mmmmm!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

You did NOT put black beans in brownies. Seriously? I've heard of spinach brownies, but beans??? I'm trying this tonight. What an interesting idea...

Naomi Haverland said...

I will have to try this recipe next week. We had tuna chowder last week (we have it atleast once a month now).

Anonymous said...

Is that really 1 3/2 c lentils (aka 2.5c)? or is that a typo?

Thanks!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Anon- I usually use dry beans. I have found them to be much less expensive, but I also sometimes use canned.

Katie- I assure you I did use beans in my brownies, and they were fabulous!

Abigail, it is 1 and 3/4 cups- it was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out! I have corrected it.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Anon- I usually use dry beans. I have found them to be much less expensive, but I also sometimes use canned.

Katie- I assure you I did use beans in my brownies, and they were fabulous!

Abigail, it is 1 and 3/4 cups- it was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out! I have corrected it.