Frugal Upstate is doing a frugal food series! How fun! This week topic is eggs.
I love eggs. They are a cheap protein and you can do a remarkable amount of things to them. I often add chopped hardboiled eggs to salads, I've made egg salad sandwiches, and love hardboiled eggs for breakfast. When I go on an hardboiled egg kick, I usually boil up 6 or 12 at a time, put them back in the carton, and mark the hardboiled ones with an H in permanent marker on the top.
I also love to make spinach quiche with eggs. I've posted this recipe before, but it's always worth repeating! It's also an excellent way to use up leftover Easter or Christmas ham. They freeze well, and it is a reasonably forgiving recipe. I usually make several at once since they take so long to bake in the oven, but this egg loving recipe is well worth the oven time!
Popeye Pie
You'll Need
1 pie crust (I make one but I'm sure a store one would be good too.) I've also made it without the crust- just spray the pie pan really well!)
3 Tablespoons of Butter or margarine
1 8 oz can of mushroom bits, or a few chopped fresh mushrooms
chopped green pepper and onions to taste (I use 1 onion and 1/2 green pepper)
1/2 to 1 cup chopped ham
1 pkg. frozen spinach (thawed)
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
What you Do
Saute the onions, ham, mushrooms, and green peppers in the butter. In a separate bowl, mix the grated mozzarella cheese, eggs, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper. Add spinach and the sauteed mushroom/onion/ham mixture. Mix well. Pour into the pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees until a knife comes out clean- this will take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serves 6.
Go here for more great egg recipes or to submit your own! Next week- Tuna!
2 comments:
That sounds really good! I'll have to try that soon.
"When I go on an hardboiled egg kick, I usually boil up 6 or 12 at a time, put them back in the carton, and mark the hardboiled ones with an H in permanent marker on the top."
Thats a great idea! DS loves hard boiled eggs for breakfast, so I just boil and whole dozen, peel them and put them in a large enough tupperware with cold water. They stay yummy and don't dry out. I'm a lazy mom though(lol) so if I had them in the carton and knew I would have to peel them every morning for DS to eat them, I would probably pull the covers over my head as soon as I though about it. I will use your idea once he's old enough to peel them himself though LMBO!
P.S.- I was waiting with baited breath for the monday morning mention....will we get a thursday morning mention instead? :oP
Post a Comment