As workers become more concerned about job stability, their vacation requests
are likely to be for fewer days and will include the caveat that they will check
e-mail and be available for work calls. (emphasis mine)
and
Use an already-scheduled long weekend, such as Memorial Day or Fourth of July,
to plan a break. The fewer days you have to take off, the better. (emphasis
mine)
Yes, we are in a downturn, yes we are all worried about our jobs. But it really makes me sad that we are advised not to use our vacation time and be at work everysinglesecond. To my husband and I, our jobs are something we do to have money for our life. Our life is not our job, we work our job in order to live. I worry that if we start working every second, it will be expected of employees, even in non-downturn time. I don't see how a workforce of overworked, stressed out people is beneficial to anyone.
In this time of economic downturn, how can we balance our fears of losing our jobs with having a life balance? Do you work overtime and forgo vacations because you are worried you'll be laid off if you don't? Am I the only one who think that an article advising people to enjoy their weekends in lieu of taking a vacation is messed up?
6 comments:
I totally agree with you. We're self-employed, and my husband is worried right now. He thinks that he should be working more hours, but I told him that I would rather give up more stuff and have a life. Time with him is more important to me than any amount of money.
The way I look at it, during times like these, you can do one of two things: Make more money, or save more money. I choose to save.
Well said Heather. My husband is a ELL/bilingual teacher and around here there is not much worry of him losing his job. That doesn't mean we don't have job stresses or worries, but we're blessed. But this year I definitely encouraged him to take his 2 personal days! Now that I stay home (I also used to teach), I have seen the job from a different perspective. Sure we get summers off (sort of!) but there is always work. Recently my husband came home w/a list of extra duties for extra pay. I have been avoiding discussing it! Our time w/him is more important than $50 for 2 hours of supervision at a football game! We just need to eat out less... =) That's something we should be doing less of anyways. Looking forward to reading more from you! Thanks...
I think skipping vacation is a bad plan too. Companies should (but don't seem to) know that the research shows that people become much less productive as they work longer hours and without a break. Putting in more time may just mean being less effective for longer - with about the same output in the end. Much better to take a break!
Jennifer
Thankfully, my husband works for a company that encourages its workers to use their vacation time. Well-rested employees make for better workers, and his company recognizes that.
However, I'm not too surprised by that advice. We've always been a workaholic society compared to the rest of the world. That's the price of capitalism. Unfortunately, it's probably very good advice for those in industries that are experiencing or about to experience serious problems due to the economy. If you're in fear of losing your job, you need to appear invaluable to your employer. I wish it didn't have to be that way, but that's the way of our culture.
Them workaholics ruin it for the rest of us by raising the bar!! The purpose of working is to live. If working is making it so you can't live, than it defeats the purpose... that is, unless your job is to travel the world and review resorts and restaurants.
I just got back from a vacation where my husband and his brother both brought and used their work lap tops and cell phones to work in their free time. My husband limited his work to what he hadn't finished before we left. My BIL who typically works 60-80 hours a week was on the phone and laptop for at least an hour a day. He gets a hefty salary but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Post a Comment