I've been meaning to join this party of MoneySavingMom's, but here we are in July and it's only my first post. Better late than never, right?
Our ultimate financial goad is HUGE. By the end of 2012, we hope to be 100% debt free. Our debts currently include a student loan and our mortgage, but those two debts are big!
As of this writing, we owe $83,053.39 and we want it gone.
We've been told not to pay off our mortgage because of the tax benefits. (We actually did not benefit this year- we itemized and the standard deduction actually ended up being better! Even if that were not true, we will save much more by not paying so much interest than we ever would in tax benefits.)
We've been told that we should be saving for retirement. (We are, and quite aggressively.)
We've been told that it will be impossible for people our age to pay off a house before we are 40. We don't care.
Even if we fall short of our goal of doing all of this by 2012, we will be ahead overall. We've just decided to ignore those who say that say it can't be done. We've done several things in our short five year marriage that "can't be done," so we're not so sure that the impossible, whatever it may be, is really so impossible.
These goals will not be achieved by the end of 2008, unless some previously unknown super rich relative leaves us all their money, but we are making decisions this year that will help us in that ultimate goal! This blog is a testament to those decisions.
Since I'm late to the party, allow me to outline a few of the decisions we've made in 2008 that is helping us meet our goal:
In January, I started keeping track of how much the library saves us. I'm still doing that, and will post on my progress soon. Let's just say that it's saving us a lot. I also challenged my assumptions, which is an exercise I continue to do on a regular basis.
In February, I thought about vet bills. Partly because of this kind of question, we have decided that we are not going to get any more pets while we are paying off our home. We're keeping our current three guinea pigs, rabbits, and dog because we love them so much, but we are done with adding to the menagerie until we can scream that we are debt free al la Dave Ramsey.
In March, we were on vacation, but I reran a piece that I find one of the most relevant parts of frugal living. You have to start with a goal of some sort- why are you saving all that money?
In April, I really enjoyed a series by Debt Free Revolution- she put her 14 year old son on his own grocery budget.
In May, I talked about how I freeze pretty much everything, even stuff that you supposedly can't freeze. I'm such a rebel. :) Doing this has saved me truckloads of cash over time.
In June, I considered work/life balance. This is one of the primary reasons my husband and I strive to get out of debt as soon as possible. We want to be able to say no to any work situation that we are not comfortable with. We only have one life on this Earth, and I don't really want to spend it chained to a desk.
This month, I'm cooking from the freezer as much as I can. You can join me every Thursday to see my creations, other's creations, and even post your own freezer finds!
I'll pop in next month with our debt's grand total. Go here to be inspired by other people who want to be in financial shape in 2008!
4 comments:
Woo hoo! Way to go!
I think your mortgage will be easy to pay off in that amount of time, compared to the mortgages most of America has.
With your focus & determination, I'd even bet you'll meet your goal early!
Counting July '08, you have 42 months to reach your goal. Without taking interest into consideration, you need to put 2,000$ per month towards your debt. I think that with the right household income and a frugal attitude, that's doable. I mean, that 2,000$ would include debt payments you'd be making anyway, plus supplemental payments. So, the actual extra amount of money that you need to put away is considerably less than the 2,000$.
I'm rooting for you.
Just want to chime in that I'm cheering you on. Just yesterday we paid off our car (that we bought used in Nov. 07) and it feels FANTASTIC to now be consumer debt free. Our next goal: max out those IRAs for 2008! After that, we tackle DH's student loans. Goals really do make this possible, and once you achieve one, you are just hungry for more. Don't listen to those nay-sayers out there. Like you said, even if you don't make the goal, you will have given it a really good effort and will be much closer to debt freedom than you would have been without trying!Nothing to lose except for debt!
Thanks for sharing your goals. I always enjoy reading your blog.
Post a Comment