Welcome to the first From the Freezer Thursday! I know that a lot of you are trying to make better use out of your stockpiles, and it is my hope that this weekly series will encourage you to make fabulous meals out of what you already have on hand.
Some guidelines:
- You do not have to actually eat your freezer creations on Thursday- it can be a post from another day in the week. It just must be a post about meals you make from your freezer/pantry/garden surplus etc and the linky will be up on Thursdays.
- While the entire meal does not need to be from your surplus, be sure that at least a part of it is from your pantry/freezer stuff.
- Bonus points if you post recipes.
- Extra super bonus points if you post pictures.
- Keep it family friendly- I'm not sure how you'd make a post about freezer finds non-family friendly, but you never know.
- Link directly to your particular post, not just your general blog.
- I reserve the right to delete any link I deem inappropriate.
Don't forget to link back to this post on your blog. Have fun and I can't wait to see what you come up with! Here's what I found in mine:
Flour. I have 50 pounds of flour that I purchased when wheat started creeping up. I'm glad I did, but I'll be even more glad when I actually, you know, use it. I also had yeast and wheat germ. I decided to try to make my own homemade hamburger buns. I did this the night before, as they were time consuming, but they were not really that difficult.
I also have a ton of hamburger. We don't usually eat much hamburger, so I knew that 15 pounds of it would last me quite awhile. I'm trying to incorporate it into more meals. The night before, I mixed 1 lb of hamburger with cornflakes (to stretch the meat even further) Worcester sauce, bleu cheese crumbles (from the freezer- manager markdown to .49 cents- score!), salt, pepper, one egg, and minced garlic. I then formed it into a ball and put it in the fridge, ready to grill the next day.
The hamburger buns were a lot more dense than the ones we buy, and they were delicious. I'll make the buns again.
Edited to add: I am having some technical difficulties with my Mr. Linky. All of my participants got deleted from this week- I'm so sorry! Hopefully next weeks FFT will go off without a hitch!
2 comments:
I think this is a great idea - so glad you are doing it!
Jennifer
What a great idea -- it would be wonderful if people would also post the recipes!
Post a Comment