Thursday, July 17, 2008

From The Freezer Thursday

Edited: I am having Mr. Linky difficulties. Hopefully this will be resolved soon, in the meantime, you can play in the comments!

Happy Thursday! This week I've been enjoying lasagna courtesy of my garden, pantry, and freezer. I've been drowning in zucchini, and grated zucchini is delicious in a veggie lasagna.

No pictures this week, but here's the recipe I follow:

You'll need:

1 pkg. lasagna noodles (I like whole wheat ones, but any will do)

1 jar pasta sauce (or more, if you like your lasagna extra saucy)

1 16 oz container of ricotta cheese OR cottage cheese

1 egg

8-16 oz mozzarella (depending on how cheesy you like it)

Spices (I use oregano, garlic, and sometimes basil) to taste

2-3 cups grated vegetables (anything really, I usually use zucchini, carrots or fresh spinach)

foil

casserole pan

What to do:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray your casserole pan well.

In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, egg, and spices together. Set aside.

Pour a little bit of sauce (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) in the bottom of your casserole pan.

Put down three uncooked noodles. (You don't even need the special no cook ones- the regular ones will work just fine.)
Spread some of the ricotta/egg mixture over it. Put some of the vegetables on top of that. Sprinkle with some of the cheese. Pour on some of the sauce.

Top with three more noodles. Repeat the process until you run out of room or ingredients. The last layer should be noodles, the rest of your sauce, and some cheese. (If you're out of sauce by the time you get to this step, you can put about 1/2 cup of water in the sauce jar and put the lid back on. Give it a good shake and pour over the noodles.)

COVER THE PAN TIGHTLY WITH FOIL! If you forget this step, your noodles will be dry.

Cook in a 400 degree until the noodles are done, which will take about one hour.

It freezes great and makes tasty, tasty leftovers!

What have you been enjoying? Don't forget to link back to this post so others can play! I can't wait to see what's in your pantry this week.

4 comments:

Rae said...

A few weeks back I started to eat chicken for the first time in more than fifteen years. Tonight's dinner will be a chicken breast taken out of the freezer this morning and marinated in a Dijon mustard mixed with white wine vinegar (the mustard comes prepared with the vinegar). The freezer will also give me an individually frozen portion of brown rice, an assortment of frozen veggies, and a banana I threw in there last week to make a banana/soy milk/cocoa concoction resembling ice cream (for dessert). Viva the freezer! LOL

Anonymous said...

I made lasagna yesterday and used basically the same recipe as you posted but instead of the grated vegetables, I roasted two eggplants and about 6 medium zucchinis. It was the first time I had made lasagna like that and it was delicious. I love your blog and I come here often.

dinnerpeace said...

I've been cooking once a month for my family for years. It's changed our live, saved us tons of money, and I've even lost a few pounds. I started a web site - dinnerpeace.com - to share with other busy moms. Stop by and check it out.

From Bottle to Box said...

It's amazing how zucchini multiplies. We opted not to plant it in our garden this year. Really the only reason is that our garden is tiny, and my 9-year-old son wanted to plant pumpkins. The one pumpkin plant has taken over the entire 6' x 12' garden. It's taken over the tomatoes. Completely covered the cilantro and rosemary. The basel still peaks out a bit. The pumpkin plant is beginning to take over the yard. My son is so happy. Thanks for the recipe. Good thing all of my friends have plenty of zucchini, and they will pay me to take it:)