Shortly after outlining our commitment to paying off our debt as soon as humanly possible, I was notified that my open ended contract job was ending. Do'h! Contract work can be unstable and many people were getting laid off at my work, so I was not terribly surprised, but as I was hoping to hold on to the job at least a year, I was a bit disappointed.
However, this has not altered our commitment to paying down debt. I also am kind of excited to start pursuing new opportunities, as I have been rethinking my working situation.
I have been freelance writing a bit, and while it's hardly raking in truckloads of cash, I am earning some money on it. I'm thinking of kicking it up a notch and taking on as many projects as I can find. I'm also hoping to find a part time work at home position. I have a few sources that may help me with that, and I'd love to hear from anybody who knows any great work at home websites/sources. My only criteria is that the jobs be legitimate, pay at very least $10 an hour, not be sales, telemarketing, or "appointment setting" positions, and be on a website that does not require you to pay to see or apply for the jobs. I know I'm asking for the moon here...but it has to be out there! :)
I also have an interview next week for a teaching position at one of the local colleges. I think if I can manage to pick up some adjunct work, kick up my freelance, and/or get a part time work at home, we should still be on track with our grand debt repayment plan, with the benefit of me being at home a lot more. We will see how it goes!
Those of you who work at home: How did you get your jobs? What is your favorite part about working at home? Least favorite part? What advice would you give somebody who is trying to get into the WAH market? Leave a comment or drop me an e-mail at Frugal.Homemaker.Plus (at) gmail.com !
3 comments:
As soon as you find that "shooting for the moon" job, I'd love to know about it too! lol....so sorry to hear about your job but glad that you have an ambitious plan to write more. I think that is a great idea. We are fortunate enough that I get paid by the military to go to school so thats where our second income comes in. A great stay-at-home position would really help get rid of that debt in a hurry, though. If something pops up, I will make sure to share that info with you.
Working from home is a great fit for me! I am an attorney, and in 2006 I started my own solo practice (estate planning). I opted to work from home and go to my clients for meetings. This means I have vitually no overhead, and we save everything I earn towards buying a home without a mortgage. My number one recommendation is to not have a TV in your home. We got rid of ours 3 years ago, and it is much easier to focus on work without the temptation of a TV. Best wishes, and the best part of working from home is the "commute". -Melinda in Madison, Wis.
I got married five and a half years after starting a job at my current employer. I gave notice that I'd be moving out of the area and leaving the job. The company offered me a work-from-home job. The best part is the commute (especially in light of the traffic in this area) and the flexibility on the hours when I do the work; the worst parts are that there isn't enough that I can do from home to make it a full-time job, and it is lonely at times. Overall I'm very grateful to have this opportunity.
Post a Comment