Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Works for me Wednesday: Paperback Swap

PaperBackSwap.com - Our online book club offers free books when you swap, trade, or exchange your used books with other book club members for free.


I think that I am possibly the last person in the frugal blog world to sign up for Paperback Swap. I've known about it for quite awhile, but I avoided it because I thought it would end up costing too much.

Here's the premise: When you first join, you list ten books. Once you've listed ten, you get two credits. Each credit can be exchanged for a book from another member. Each time you send out a book, you get another credit.

When you send out a book, you are responsible for postage. When someone sends you a book, they are responsible for postage. You can send it using Media Mail rates, which is around $2.50 per item.

I had hesitated because I use the library for free- why go through the trouble of sending books? But there was something I wanted from the library that it did not have, and I had several books sitting on my bookshelf that Cash For Books had not wanted to buy from me. I decided to list them on Paperback Swap and see if I could get the book I wanted.

Within one day, several of my books had been requested and I was able to get several items that I wanted. I'm hooked now. There is a cost involved, but it is small. Since I buy most of my books used, or get them at our recycling center's library, I am putting out very little money, but am getting a lot in return. I avoided it, but now that I've tried it, Paperback Swap really works for me!

PS. I'm still looking for guest posters for the upcoming month! Drop me an e-mail at Frugal.Homemaker.Plus (at) gmail (dot) com if you're interested!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder! I signed up a long time ago and had forgotten all about it. Now that I'm on a major de-cluttering binge, Paperback Swap would be a great way to get rid of all the piles of books we have laying around here! LOL!