Saturday, January 31, 2009

5 Random Things I Learned as We Ate Like Kings

1. Cooking for non-picky people is a blessing. I knew my husband was not terribly picky when I married him, but I never realized how much of a cost savings that would be. I can't tell you how many comments I got from women who said that their husbands and/or children were very picky and would never eat a lot of what I made or what is on sale.

2. Plans can get derailed very fast when everybody in the house is sick! Keep some cans of soup and frozen meals on hand for those "can't deal" days.

3. Coupons are worth it for me. I spent a little over $200 on groceries this month, and that simply would not have been possible if I did not match coupons and sales.

4. Our favorite meal this month was also the most expensive.

5. I often hesitate before buying a piece of meat that costs $6, but one $6 roast gave us 3 dinners and several lunches. I have to remind myself to calculate how far that will stretch!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I just wanted to say I enjoy your blog, and that I agree about "splurging" a little bit on meat. I blanched the first time I bought a pot roast, but it lasted forever and ended up being a really good price per meal. =)

~Kate
"Which Proverbs 14:1 Woman?"
http://www.proverbs14-1.blogspot.com