Sunday, January 04, 2009

Eating Like Kings Day 4: Hummus and Caesar Salad

We were short on time today and needed something fast! What to do? Head out for a Value Meal or a few items off the dollar menu on the way to our obligation?

Not today- random pantry finds and another bagged salad to the rescue!

A marked down Caesar salad kit for $1.69. There was a coupon for more salad kits in the bag- I'll have it later for even more savings.
A can of hummus- FREE, as it was a stocking stuffer from the roommate. Thanks, roommate!

Yummy with a dab of olive oil and paprika.

Bag of Archer Farm Organic Corn Chips- on sale for $2.33 per 16 serving bag. Between the three of us, we ate about 5 servings worth for a total cost of .73 cents. We used about 1/2 a tablespoon of olive oil, which cost about .13 cents.

Total: $2.55, or .85 cents per person. Healthier, faster, and cheaper than the dollar menu!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delicious stocking stuffer?

Have you tried baba ganouj? It basically replaces hummus' chick peas with roasted eggplant. My mouth waters. Even though I do not care for eggplants generally, I started growing them in my garden this summer. Not only is baba delicious, but baby eggplants are the most adorable things *ever*.

Allison

Cate said...

I'm really enjoying these posts. I've always been a bit too lazy to calculate cost per meal, but it's nice to see someone else do it. :-)

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

A- My husband loves babaganouj! He loves tabouli even more. We're big fans of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. I planted eggplant this year, but they died during a week long rain. *sad*

Cate- thanks! I'm usually too lazy to calculate the cost like this as well. I like to do it every now and then to see if I'm doing as well as I *think* I'm doing. The blog helps keep me accountable. Glad you're enjoying the series. :)