Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reader Question: What can you freeze?

I get a lot of questions about what you can and can't freeze, and let me tell you- I freeze just about everything. Being able to stock my freezer when I've found a bargain has made a significant difference in my grocery bill!

I did a little bit of research on the issue and found this USDA list on freezing and food safety. Check it out!

Here's a very short list of things I have frozen with success:

  • Cheese (shredded freezes best- the texture of block cheese gets weird, but if you're going to shred it anyway, it's not a problem.)
  • Cream cheese (texture gets odd, but if you're using it in something like a dip or cheesecake, it's fine.)
  • Sour cream (stir it up really well once it's thawed)
  • yogurt
  • Milk
  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchini
  • Bananas
  • Meat of all types
  • homemade broth
  • bread dough
  • homemade muffins
  • homemade pancakes
  • homemade waffles
  • store bought bread
  • flour
  • sugar
  • fresh strawberries
  • fresh cantelope
  • fresh grapes

This is an extremely short list of what I have frozen. I'll stick just about anything in the freezer. If I've never frozen it before I'll just start with one thing.

The worst that's ever happened is that the texture has changed, but if I use the item as part of a recipe instead of eating it alone (like cream cheese) it usually does not make a difference.

When I know we won't be using it in the next month or so, I'll seal it with my handy food saver. I remember being suspicious of the food saver claims, but mine has been worth every penny.

How has your freezer saved you money? What is the most unusual thing you've frozen? Share in the comments or e-mail me at Frugal.Homemaker.Plus (at) gmail (dot) com!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have frozen:

* Soups (in single serving portions)
* Go-gurt sticks
* Casseroles (in single serving portions)
* Cookies
* Muffins
* Quick breads
* Butter
* Milk (take advantage of good deals!)
* Flour
* Homemade waffles (so much healthier and cheaper than store-bought!)
* Homemade stock
* Meat (frozen and cooked; some (i.e., hamburgers, brats, steaks) in single serving portions)

We have gotten a lot of use from our food saver too, especially with ham and turkey -- we get a big one on a really good deal, then cook (if applicable), cube up, and store in 2C portions. This makes meal prep later a breeze, because the step of measuring and cubing the meat is already taken care of! Similar with chicken -- I will make some stock (about 2 gal worth, separated into 4C containers), and split and cube up the meat for future meals.

NorahS said...

I have had good luck freezing cooked pasta. It works the best if it is just barely cooked rather that a little overcooked. I have frozen it both with and without sauce. We usually freeze it with out sauce because the reuse possibilities are greater.

Brooke said...

milk freezes well, but does require shaking before use.

Amiyrah said...

sour cream doesn't freeze well for us. We just turn it upside down in the fridge, and it has lasted up to 6 weeks after the expiration date. By turning it upside down, you cause a seal and it keeps air out and the sour cream fresh.

A. said...

I freeze soups, stews, and sauces in ice cube trays. Wait until they're frozen, then empty into a freezer bag. To avoid an off-taste, wait until the liquid cools to room temperature before freezing.

How do you freeze your tomatoes? The whole tomato? Or do you skin them first?

My bread and berries always freeze well.

Allison

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Allison, I just pop them in a freezer bag and stick them in the freezer, skin and all! When I want to use them, I dip them in hot water and peel off the skin.