Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bargain Meal of the Week: My Crockpot Saves the Day


I'm having one of those weeks. You know the one. You're so busy you can't even think. The very *idea* of cooking seems ludicrous!

I pull out my crockpots in those weeks. Luckily, one of my crockpot standbys is cheap this week with the sales at Dillons!

Somewhat reasonable sale items:

Kroger canned beans .60 cents each
Kroger canned tomatoes .60 cents each
Sterling Silver Ground Beef $2.79 per pound

Meal Idea:

Crockpot Chili.

Use two cans of beans, one can of tomatoes, ($1.80 for all three cans) and 1/2 a pound of beef ($1.39) I brown the beef before I put it in the crockpot. I also throw in an onion and maybe a couple of cups of chicken broth or water. Add chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin to taste, then simmer on low all day. Delicious and versatile! Leftover chili is yummy. We also throw leftover chili over baked potatoes for an easy next day meal.

Total: Approximately $4, when you include the onion and spices. :)

Psst...don't forget about my Mrs. Meyers giveaway! Head on over to sign up!

No comments: