Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Getting Back On Track: The Morning Routine

I'm continuing my quest to get back on track, and I can already tell a difference in my day!

Since it is my belief that my evening routine is the most important one to complete, I started with that. Getting things done the night before makes my day go so much easier. When my bags are packed, my kitchen is clean, and I know what's for dinner, I can wake up and face the day knowing that the most basic things are under control. I've also started filling out my Daily Docket the night before as well. This has helped me in immeasurable ways, particularly by identifying my Most Important Tasks. I use the Simple Mom's free version. Go here to download your own free copy!

I've added a morning routine of basic chores. These things do not take very long to do, but my home is more welcoming when they are done.

Each morning, I do the following tasks:

  • Make our bed.
  • Shower and get completely dressed. (Or "Dressed the the shoes!" as Flylady would say.)
  • Empty the dishwasher (if needed).
  • Feed the animals.
  • Put the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher.
  • Start the crockpot (if needed)
  • Recycle yesterday's newspaper. (This is a carryover from my old plan. Now we only get the Saturday and Sunday version, but we used to get the paper everyday. Recycling it every day keeps it from piling up. If it did not get read, tough noogies. Letting it pile up is not the solution.)
  • Put in one load of laundry (if needed).
  • Start my Work at Home Routine. (More on that later!)
Since I've started the routines again, our life has become considerably more peaceful. Our home is also much more organized. This makes life much less stressful, and less stress is a good thing!

4 comments:

Cate said...

You're right, the morning routine really makes a difference! I always feel so much better when I get up and make the bed (can't get back in if it's already made!) and shower right away.

Melinda Gustafson Gervasi said...

I love your idea to recycle the paper every day. It amazes me how fast it piles up, and it is distracting. I work from home, and can relate to many of the things you wrote about. Tomorrow I'll toss today's paper in the bin!

SixintheMix said...

Sometimes I find it difficult not to succumb to "relaxing" after the kids are in bed, knowing I've been busy all day...(self-pity - ugh!) But what a difference it makes in the morning; a little preparation goes a long way! It blesses me and the whole family... Thanks for being such an inspiration! "Routine Rita" beats "Frazzled Fran" hands down.

momstheword said...

I really find that my routines help me stay on track and on top of things. When I get off my routines my whole house falls apart, lol! Thanks for the link, I'll have to try it out.