Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bargain Meal of the Week

When stress attacks and my schedule becomes overloaded, cooking dinner seems like a ludicrous proposition. I've had one of those overloaded weeks, and the temptation to dial a pizza has been strong.

For those days, let the grocery store be your friend.

One of my secret "can't deal" weapons is to head over to Dillon's for a rotisserie chicken.

Most of the time, they're around $5. I used to resit the chicken, but then I realized that I could get several easy meals out of one chicken, which helps my busy schedule for multiple days.

Day One: Chicken, salad in a bag (on sale for $2.5o this week!), canned veggies, sliced strawberries (organics on sale for 1.99/lb this week!) for dessert.

Day Two: Chicken salad sandwiches with the leftover chicken, sliced strawberries, carrot sticks.

Day Three: Make chicken stock from the carcass, have soup that night. Yum!

Healthier and less expensive than your local burger joint, with little fuss!

Head on over to Bargain Meal of the Week for more great ideas!

2 comments:

Past Expiry said...

Speaking of being frugal, here's a cartoon where it is a bit extreme...
http://pastexpiry.blogspot.com/2009/05/cartoon-buy-your-casket-on-ebay.html

*CARTOON*

Jen said...

Love this idea, but I got tired of paying $5 for a wimpy, smallish chicken. I'm now in the habit of buying whole fryer chickens when they go on super sale and dropping one into the slow cooker either the morning before I'll need it for dinner (if thawed) or the night before I'll need it for dinner (if frozen). A quick dash of salt/pepper/poultry seasoning on the carcass + a smidge of water in the bottom makes for fall-off-the-bone chicken in no time. The skin isn't as succulent as a rotisserie chicken, but it provides tons of shredded chix for other meals.