I found something I thought would work in a trashpile, but it was just a bit too big. (It's now an extra table for my pile 'o grading in my laundry room "office.")
I saw something at my favorite thrift store, but $30 seemed a bit steep for something that was in fairly shabby condition. I went back on the half price day, but it was gone.
It's a good thing I read this post the other day. (Props to Meredith, for pointing us all in that direction!)
Today as I ventured through the yard sales, I reminded myself to look for potential, not for perfection.
Any other time, I would have passed this up. The small size and shape made me take a second look.

It will fit in the space I have perfectly. The drawers are surprisingly roomy, and the piece is real wood and sturdy. Could I rehab this piece?
I decided to take the risk. They were only asking $1!
Currently the wood putty is drying, and I'm eyeing the paint cans that we have in the basement. I'll let you know how it turns out!
4 comments:
OOOOh OOOh OOOOH! I *LOVE* refurbishing furniture! It's gotten to the point that if I see a cute piece with potential-- I buy it and refurbish it-- even though I have nowhere to use it in my own home!
This is so cute. Please, please please don't paint over the neatly patterned (inlaid?) wood! I can see painting the rest of it, but leave some of the intricate woodwork showing! So cute! :)
Anon, I'd like to, but there were several big chips in it that don't show up in the picture. I had to fill those with wood putty. It's more beat up than the picture shows. The woodwork is really pretty!
Oh, it does have nice lines. I see a creamy yellow and maybe a light green trim. I don't know what colors of paint you have available.
I've refinished furniture before. I bought an ugly 1970s dresser from a girls' bedroom suite for $35 at the thrift store. My husband was appalled, but I made it beautiful. It now serves as a sideboard in my dining room. (There's a post/picture somewhere on my blog; just do a search for refinished furniture if you're interested in seeing it.)
Refinishing furniture is actually pretty easy. I mean, you do have to use a little elbow grease if you have to scrape any old finish off, but they make great non-toxic strippers that don't have horrible fumes. I recommend using an oil-based paint. When I was researching how to refinish furniture, I ran across that bit of advice, and it's served me well. I had some tables I'd previously painted with a water-based paint, and the finish just wasn't as nice or as easily cleaned.
I think your little table will look great when you're done with it! Are you keeping the original hardware, or will you replace those drawer pulls?
Post a Comment