Saturday, October 24, 2009

Our Winter Bed


Photo Credit: Laszlo-photo

Brrrr! It is starting to get chilly- it won't be long before it is dowright COLD outside! Cold days make it extra hard to get out of bed, especially when your bed has been properly prepared for cold weather. We keep our heat very low during the winter, which we can only do because we keep our bed warm. Here's our three keep warm secrets:


1. Flannel sheets: Good quality flannel sheets will keep you warm! I love it when I finally put the thick flannel sheets on for the season- so soft, so warm! We've had our set since we got married and they're still going strong. Linens are one area that I do my best to by quality- cheap sheets do not hold up as well and are not as warm. Quality sheets will withstand years of wear. Watch for sales!

2. Electric blanket: We LOVE our electric blanket. We don't usually keep it on all night, but rather use it to preheat the bed! We turn it on about fifteen minutes before we go to bed, then turn it off when we climb in. Nothing is as nice as climbing into a preheated bed. We use a twin size for our queen sized bed because the one I have from college still works! They have pretty snazzy stuff now, including duel controls or electric mattress pads.

3. Down comforter: This will keep in heat like no other. This is another one of those expensive items that may pay off in heat savings. I see these at yard sales every now and again, so keep your eye out! There are also sometimes great bargains on online sites like Amazon. We store ours in one of those vacuum the air out bag things in the off season. We cover it with a king sized sheet since we don't want our dog shedding all over the white cover. Very nice!

How do you stay toasty on cold nights?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How cold do you keep your house? We keep ours at around 62 and I know we can keep it cooler, but I just haven't gotten there yet. Thanks for the hints!

Rae said...

The odd night I get stuck in really cold weather and don't want to run the furnace to preserve battery power (I live in a motorhome) I use a combination of clothing and linens to stay comfy.

I have a wool blanket that goes over the down comforter that goes over flannel sheets. I go to bed wearing woolen socks, longjohns with a nylon/wool blend, flannel pjs, and tuque to keep the heat from escaping through my head.

Moreover, I sleep in the loft bed over the cab, which is surrounded by thin windows, so I block the windows with styrofoam and then a layer of blankets and towels.

Sounds excessive, but it's comfy. The best part is getting up in the wee hours of the morning to turn on the furnace so I can get up an hour later to a home that's as warm as the bed was all night. :)