I sympathize. I rarely decide I want something, head out to the thrift store, and get it right away. If I absolutely must have something right away, I will go and buy it brand spankin' new. However, I find that I rarely need something so immediately that I have to go buy it full retail. Thrift shopping is a lesson in patience and creativity.
To be successful as a thrift shopper, one must learn to control the "need it now" mentality. It can be difficult! We live in an "instant" society. However, learning to control the want/buy right away cycle can save you a ton of money. It also gives you time to consider whether you really need or even want that item at all!
My strategy is to put things on a "watch for" list. I then keep an eye out for a sweet deal, be it free on Craigslist, secondhand, dumpster dived, from a yard sale...who knows where it will turn up? My list reminds me that I'm looking for it so I can keep my eyes open for a deal!
For example, here's a few things that have on my current "watch for" list:
- Scented candles to fill the candle holder on our TV cabinet.
- Black work slacks
- A small bookcase for my niece.
I *want* black pants to wear to work, but I don't really *need* them. I have plenty of clothes. If I should find a pair that fits at a rock bottom price, I'll get them. Until then, this is an expense that can wait.
The small bookcase is something that my sister in law has asked me to keep an eye out for since she knows I thrift a lot. Hopefully a free or inexpensive one will find us soon!
Looking for items this way may seem strange to some people, but I find that it works for me. One of my friends asked if I ever managed to find anything. I usually do- in time. Here's some things that I've recently found from my wants list:
- New pillows for the guest bed. I've been watching for a sale. Kohl's put the pillows I wanted on sale for half off, plus I had a 15% off coupon. Time to buy!
- A long black skirt. Like the pants, not something that I strictly needed to live, but it does make my work wardrobe go further. I got it for $2 (marked down from $4- watch those colored tags!) at the thrift store. It's lovely, a good brand name, fits like a dream, and has gotten lots of compliments!
- A TV cabinet with doors (like this one, except ours is white!). I've looked for this forever and was thrilled to find it for $28 at a thrift store this month! We did have to fix it up a bit, but a coat of paint was all it took to make it look brand new. It was worth the wait.
- A particular textbook for a class I'm talking. This is one I would have bought at full price if needed, because the class won't wait for me to find the text at a yard sale. However, I did a quick search online and got it for $70 less than the school's bookstore was selling it for. A quick search, a bit of patience, a small amount of waiting...and I saved big. (Go here for tips on getting textbook deals.)
What's on your thrift list?
Earn money generated by your articles. Write for Examiner.com.
7 comments:
Excellent post!
I have a series of shopping lists on my fridge for a similar reason: I get to the store because I need one thing, then ask myself "Wait, what else did I want?" Having a pet store list, an ethnic grocer list, and a Bed, Bath, and Beyond list reduces the number of back & forth trips.
Also: all the BBB items are Wants, not needs so if I come across something at a less expensive store all the better!
White Christmas tree lights are on my list. . . I think I have more things on my "mental list" - must be time to commit them to a piece of paper!
Cool! Since we have a new house, definitely cute furniture for our front porch (hopefully a glider!), a bed for the guest room, a TV cabinet, a comfy couch, and craft supplies. :-)
Ha! I just found one of mine today. I've been checking out the crafts section at the thrift store every time I go in because I want a bag of zippers. I'd like to learn how to sew on zippers, but I don't want to pay retail for my learning attempts. Found a bag full of them today for $3!
Now if I could just find a pink telephone for my craft room...
I started working from home recently and wanted a wireless router. I checked pricing but decided to research a bit more (I did not want to spend $40+) or rent one from the cable company. Just today I found out that my cable provider is offering a free router to customers for the price of shipping. I immediatly put in my request and will have it in a few days for less then 1/4 of the cost of a new one!
Other items on my list are bedroom furniture and a desk for my son and a leather couch or sectional for my livingroom.
Saryn
Those are some great ideas! I love to thrift shop and i can find such good things if i take my time.
I've had great success with a little patience.
I've had great luck with board games, bread makers, new curtains, 100% cotton 300+ thread count sheets, and such.
My best find though was a new wedding dress for $30 at my local thrift store. The zipper was broken- $40 to a seamstress and it was fixed and fitted.
I currently don't need anything but I keep my eye out for good sheets, picture frames, and nice bookcases.
Post a Comment